Pedestal Dessert Plate
- Recycled clear glass bottle (or 750ml wine bottle)
- Repurposed clear glass plate, 8” diameter
- Jennifer’s Mosaics Opalescent Glass Chips: three packs White
- Jennifer’s Mosaics Iridescent Glass Chips: two packs White
- Jennifer’s Mosaics White Sanded Grout
- Generation Green (G2) Bottle Cutter
- Jennifer’s Mosaics Wheeled Glass Nippers
- Armour Over ’n’ Over Re-Usable Stencil
- Krylon Frosted Glass Finish Spray Paint: White
- Sharpie Paint Oil-Based Opaque Paint Marker: White
- Mosaic adhesive or clear silicone
sandpaper, mixing bowl and measuring spoon, sponge, soft cloth, paper towels, newspaper, ziplock bag of dried rice or old towel, craft stick, plastic or disposable gloves, masking tape
- Cover work area with newspaper. Measure 4” up from bottom of clear glass bottle and mark using white paint marker.
- Using bottle cutter, score and separate where indicated. (Note: Bottom of bottle will become base of pedestal.) Lightly sand cut edges and underside of clear glass plate using fine sandpaper. (Note: Sanding glass allows mosaic glue and frosted glass finish spray paint to adhere to surface.)
- Spray bottom of plate with frosted glass finish spray paint following manufacturer’s directions. Allow to dry and then reapply with second coat.
- Use white paint marker and stencil to stencil design on bottom of plate. Let dry.
- For base, nip white stained glass tiles into rectangles and white iridized glass tiles into small squares with wheeled glass nipper. (Note: For instructions on how to nip, watch video in Creative Corner at www.DiamondTechCrafts.com.)
- To prevent base of stand from rolling, place surface on plastic ziplock bag of rice or an old towel. Apply small amount glue on back of each tile and press onto base of stand, leaving 1/8” between each tile, using photo as guide. Let dry following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Measure one cup white grout into plastic container. Adding 1 Tbsp. water at a time to grout, mix with craft stick until grout is of “fudge-like” consistency. (Note: If grout is too watery, add small amount dry grout until consistency is correct.)
- Wearing disposable gloves, spread grout into openings around tiles and along outside edges of stand. Let grout set for 15 minutes.
- Wipe away excess grout using paper towel and sponge, taking care to not pull grout out from tiles spaces.
- Use soft cloth to buff tiles to clean shine. Allow 24 hours to dry thoroughly.
- Sand top portion of mosaic base free from grout. Use damp soft cloth to remove sanding residue.
- To mark center of plate, apply strip of masking tape lengthwise and widthwise across top of plate; where tape meets is center.
- Apply dot of glue around glass rim on base and firmly press plate onto base, using masking tape marking as guide for center. Let dry.