Harvest Jute Napkin Rings with Clay Leaves
- Jute webbing, 1-1/2 yds.
- National Nonwovens WoolFelt: Hazelnut, 12”x12”
- Polyform Sculpey UltraLight Clay: White
- Artificial berry sprigs
- Scallop-edge rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille paintbrushes: Series 7730 Golden Tacklon Aura Brush 1/2”; Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7300C Shader #4
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Burnt Sienna, Napa Red, Antique Gold, Cadmium Yellow, Hauser Light Green, Honey Brown, Burnt Orange
- DecoArt DuraClear Gloss Varnish
- Sewing machine and thread
- Acrylic brayer or clay-dedicated rolling pin
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, measuring tape or ruler, craft knife
- Cut 6” rectangle of jute webbing and stitch raw edges together, creating napkin ring. Turn right side out.
- Cut 1-1/4”x6” Hazelnut strip using scallop-edge rotary cutter and self-healing mat. Use hot glue gun to adhere Hazelnut strip onto center of jute ring. Repeat process for each desired napkin ring.
- On clean work surface, roll White clay to 1/4” thickness. Use sharp knife to cut leaf shapes from clay sheet. Using knife, score vein lines on leaf. Repeat for each desired napkin ring. Position leaves on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake leaves. Let cool.
- To paint oak leaves, use 1” glaze/wash brush to paint leaf Burnt Sienna. Let dry. Use #4 shader loaded with Napa Red and Burnt Orange to paint leaf, blending colors on center, feathering to outer edges. Let dry. Load Aura brush with Antique Gold and Cadmium Yellow, dab excess paint on palette, and feather colors onto center veins of leaf. Let dry. Use 1” glaze/wash to apply two coats gloss varnish, letting dry between each coat. Let dry.
- To paint maple leaves, use 1” glaze/wash brush to wash entire leaf Burnt Sienna. Let dry. Use #4 shader loaded with Honey Brown and Burnt Orange to paint center of leaf, feathering color onto outer edges. Let dry. Load Aura brush with Cadmium Yellow and feather one third of leaf. While still wet, feather in small amounts of Hauser Light Green. Let dry. Use 1” glaze/wash brush to apply two coats of gloss varnish, letting dry between each coat. Let dry.
- Hot glue leaves and berry sprig onto top of jute ring.
- 1. Bend edges of clay leaves slightly before baking to give them a more life-like appearance.