Star Welcome Hanger
- AMACO Claycrete Instant Papier Mache
- Wire, 20-gauge, 2’
- Newspaper sheets
- Ribbon, 6” length
- Acrylic paints: red, white, blue
- Clear plastic sheet
- Cardboard scrap, in size larger than design
zip-lock plastic bag, small bucket, scissors, ruler, black marker, paintbrush, tape, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Use pencil to draw large star shape and banner on scrap sheet of paper. When satisfied with design, outline shapes with black marker. Tape design onto recycled cardboard scrap. Cover cardboard and design with sheet of clear plastic. Tape securely.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to mix Claycrete and water in zip-lock plastic bag inside small bucket. (Note: Design needs approximately four cups of dry Claycrete.)
- Following taped design pattern on cardboard, form Claycrete into star and banner shapes.
- Measure and cut seven 5” wire lengths. Form five wire lengths into loops. Insert loops into three points on star and top side edges of banner, using photo as guide. Set star and banner aside to dry completely.
- On covered work surface, paint shapes two coats of Gesso. Let dry. Use tape to tape off center line down star. Paint one half of star blue. Let dry. Remove tape. Paint other half of star red, up to painted blue line. Let dry. Use pencil to lightly draw stars on blue area. Paint stars white. Let dry. On red area, tape off 1” horizontal sections of red area, creating areas for white stripes. Paint untaped sections white. Let dry. Paint banner blue. Let dry. Use white paint to write “welcome” on banner. Let dry. Apply two coats varnish onto all painted areas. Let dry.
- Bend two remaining wire lengths into loops. Attach loops onto star points and banner ends, attaching hanger together. Cut 6” ribbon length. Insert ribbon ends through top wire loop on star; knot ends together.