Uncle Sam's Trouser Favors
- Recycled cardboard tubes, two
- Recycled cereal box, scraps
- Light blue cardstock, scrap
- Silver metal ribbon slide (found in scrapbooking supplies)
- Blue metal brads, two
- Ribbon, in two patriotic prints: two 12” lengths
- Patriotic-theme rub-on transfers
- Star stickers (or star-shaped rubber stamp)
- Marvy Uchida Clever Lever Craft Punch: Tag
- Jacquard Products Lumiere Paints: Pearlescent Blue, Metallic Silver, Crimson
- White inkpad
- Hole punch
- Aleenes Original Tacky Glue
scissors, measuring tape or ruler, pencil, paintbrush, black marker, clear tape, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- For striped trousers, position clear tape strips 1/2” apart on two recycled cardboard tubes. On covered work surface, paint tubes Pearlescent Blue. When paint is dry, remove tape and paint remaining areas Metallic Silver. For star trousers, paint tubes Crimson. When paint is dry, ink star stamp with white inkpad and stamp stars on tubes. Let dry.
- Glue tubes together by positioning side-by-side and placing glue along center, forming pants shape. Measure and cut 12” ribbon length; glue ribbon along top of tubes (for belt). For belt buckle, cut 12” ribbon length and insert through metal ribbon slide. Glue buckle on belt, centering on front of trousers.
- For suspenders, measure and cut two 6” ribbon lengths. Glue suspender ends onto inside of tubes.
- For bottom of tubes, cut two 2-1/4” circles from recycled cereal box. Trace 2” circle on center of each 2-1/4” circle. Use scissors to cut small slits on edge of circles, 1/4” apart, up to traced line. Bend slits inward; apply glue on outside edges of slits. Position circles on bottom of trousers, forming secure bottom.
- Punch Tag shape from light blue cardstock. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply patriotic-themed rub-on transfer onto tag, or use black permanent marker to write patriotic sentiment on center of tag. Use marker to outline tag shape. Punch hole on end of tag and insert blue metal brad, bending ends on back. Glue tag on trousers.