Cherry Cove Lighthouse Jar Wrap
- Fredrix Unmounted Canvas, one 12”x16” sheet
- Canning jar (with lid and ring), 1 quart
- Shipping tag, 1-1/2”x2-1/2”
- White self-adhesive dots, three 1/2”
- Nautical- or patriotic-print fabric, small square
- Rusty wire, 22-gauge: 16” length
- DecoArt Americana: Acrylic Paints: Baby Blue, Light Buttermilk, Khaki Tan, Country Red, Antique Maroon, Uniform Blue, Sand, Graphite, Moon Yellow, Jade Green, Light Avocado, Avocado Green, Burnt Umber, Lamp Black, Burnt Sienna; Neons: Fiery Red
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distressing Ink
- DecoArt Duraclear Matte Varnish
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: Series 7550 Wash 3/4”; Series 7400 Angular Shader 1/2”; 247 Crescent Series 1/4”, 3/4”; Series 7050 Script 10/0; Series 7500 Filberts #2, 6; Maxine’s Magic Mop 270 1-1/2”; Series 7900 Deerfoot Stippler 1/8”
scissors, wire cutters, ruler, pencil, masking tape, fine-point black permanent marker
- 1. When painting design, use best-sized brush for area painting. For sideload shading, if area is large, first dampen surface with water, then use mop brush to soften float. For basecoating, use filbert brushes.
- 1. Cut 4”x13-1/2” strip from canvas sheet. Basecoat both sides Baby Blue. (Note: One side of canvas is smoother than the other; the smooth side will be the design side.) Measure 1/4” along both long edges and tape off. Base edges Light Buttermilk. When dry, use #6 flat to paint checks Country Red. Shade to left of each red check Antique Maroon and to left of each Light Buttermilk check Khaki Tan.
- 1. Print out pattern. Trace main pattern lines onto canvas. Position pattern on one end of canvas. (Note: This allows area for canvas to overlap when positioned around jar.) Trace main pattern lines for lighthouse, water, boat, grass, and beach.
- 2. Basecoat lighthouse tower Light Buttermilk, water Uniform Blue, beach Sand and grass Jade Green. Paint roof on lighthouse Lamp Black, hull of boat and flag on mast Country Red, cabin on boat Khaki Tan, and sails Light Buttermilk.
- 3. With Titanium White and 3/4” crescent brush, drybrush fluffy clouds in sky. (Note: Use scant amount of paint on brush and apply paint in circular motion.)
- 4. Trace the pattern details onto basecoated areas.
- 5. Paint stripes on lighthouse Country Red and light in tower Moon Yellow. Shade on each side of tower using Antique Maroon on red stripes and Khaki Tan on Light Buttermilk stripes. Use 1/4” crescent brush to drybrush highlight stripes on red and white stripes on area just left of center of tower Titanium White. Add Titanium White highlight stripe down center of highlight to reinforce.
- 6. Sideload and highlight left side of roof on lighthouse Graphite. Use Titanium White float down sides of tower windows, keeping stronger white towards outer edges. Add window frames and tower railing with thinned Lamp Black using 10/0 liner.
- 7. Shade grassy area towards bottom with Light Avocado Green, keeping float fairly wide. Shade again with Avocado Green, slightly smaller than first shade. Paint tree trunks Burnt Umber. Use 1/8” deerfoot stippler to stipple cherry trees with all three greens, working from darker green towards lighter green with each layer. Add tiny Country Red dots with small end of stylus. Stipple shrubbery on either side of lighthouse in same way as foliage on cherry trees.
- 8. Shade sand where it meets grassy area Burnt Umber. Drybrush Burnt Umber underneath cherry trees.
- 9. Shade water Deep Midnight Blue. With 1/4” crescent brush, drybrush Titanium White where water meets horizon.
- 10. Shade hull of boat and flag Antique Maroon. Shade cabin Burnt Umber. Add trim line along hull with Light Buttermilk and small windows on cabin with end of stylus using Lamp Black.
- 11. Add mast and booms with dark brown brush mix of Burnt Umber and Lamp Black. Shade sails Khaki Tan.
- 12. Transfer Cherry Cove Lighthouse sign. Basecoat sign Light Buttermilk and shade around edges Khaki Tan. Basecoat cherries Cherry Red and shade Antique Maroon. Highlight cherries with sideload float of Neons Fiery Red. Add one-stroke leaves using #6 filbert double-loaded with Jade Green and Avocado Green.
- 13. Use 10/0 liner to outline sign with thinned Lamp Black. Paint scrollwork and lettering Lamp Black and stems on cherries Burnt Umber.
- 14. Highlight stroke grass on beach in various shades of green and Burnt Umber. Add Lamp Black detail lines.
- 1. Cut star shape from canvas sheet.
- 2. Basecoat star Uniform Blue, Cherry Red, and Light Buttermilk. Shade along inside edges on Light Buttermilk sections Khaki Tan. Shade along inside edges on Country Red sections Antique Maroon. Shade along inside edges of Uniform Blue sections Deep Midnight Blue.
- 3. Float highlight to center ridge of each star section as follows: on red use Neons Fiery Red; on blue use Baby Blue; on Light Buttermilk use Titanium White. Paint little “A” stars on blue Light Buttermilk. Add Lamp Black detail lines.
- 1. Allow paint to cure. Varnish all pieces with several coats of Americana Matte Varnish.
- 2. Wrap canvas around jar. Apply adhesive-backed dots along both ends.
- 3. Cut out star and punch hole on top blue section.
- 4. Use distressing ink and crescent brush to antique edges of shipping tag. Add doodled borders and words “Cherry Cove Brownies in a Jar.” Write recipe on back of tag.
- 5. Cut circle from fabric, slightly larger than jar lid.
- 6. Wrap rusty wire around lid; twist ends together and add star tag on wire end. Curl wire ends.
- 7. Fill jar with Chocolate Cherry Brownie Mix.
- 8. Screw lid on jar and wrap canvas around jar.