- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Balls (for each hen): one 3”, one 2”
- Recycled sweater
- Coordinating-color thread
- Felt, scraps: coordinating color of sweater print, deep red, gold
- Wooden dowels, two 1/4”x3”
- Craft wire
- Black beads, two 7mm
- Brown acrylic paint
- Brown floral tape
scissors, pencil, craft knife, old candle, needle, craft pins, low-temp glue gun, small nail
- Wax serrated craft knife and cut small slice from one side of 3” ball, so ball sits flat. Cut small slice from top front of ball (for head attachment). Cut small slice from side of 2” ball (to join to body).
- Rub cut sides of head and neck together so pieces fit together snugly. Glue sides together with low-temperature glue gun.
- Insert pencil into center bottom of 3” ball and rotate outwards to create large hole. (Note: Excess sweater ends will be tucked into hole.)
- Print out patterns. Cut body, wings, and tail pieces from recycled sweater.
- With sweater pieces facing right sides together, handstitch together, using 1/4” seams. Clip and turn right side out. Glue edges of top of wings and tail closed with white craft glue.
- Pull body fabric over top of hen body, placing end of seam at point where beak will be situated at front of head. Pull fabric tightly down and around hen.
- Hand gather around bottom of sweater body and pull tight at center bottom of hen.
- Use scissors point to tuck excess sweater fabric into hole in bottom of hen. Spot glue to secure.
- Measure and cut 1-3/4” circle from same-color felt as sweater. Use white craft glue to glue circle onto bottom of hen.
- Apply line of white glue on each side of hen and press top edge of wing on glue line. Use craft pins to pin wing in place until dry.
- Repeat process to glue tail piece on back of body.
- Cut and glue felt tail pieces over end of tail.
- On covered work surface, paint two dowel legs brown. Let dry.
- Wrap florist wire around bottom of dowel until secure. Bend and form three thin loops for claws. Wrap wired feet with brown floral tape to finish.
- Use scissors point to make two slits in bottom of body (to insert legs). Insert legs into body, adjusting so hen stands upright.
- Cut comb, wattle, and beak from felt.
- Gather comb slightly along bottom edge and glue comb along seam line on top of head. Let dry.
- Glue beak pieces together at tip. Glue beak onto head at end of seam along head.
- Glue wattle pieces under beak.
- Glue two half-round beads (eyes) on either side of beak.