Sailing Away Applique Towels
- Purchased dish towels, two
- Fabric rectangles: 5”x7” light green, 2”x5” medium blue, 3”x4” turquoise
- Medium rick rack: 1-1/2 yds. light blue, 1/8 yd. yellow
- Ribbon, 5/8”-wide, 3/8 yd. blue check, 3/8 yd. light turquoise
- Buttons: two 11/16” turquoise, two 1/2” yellow
- Bright blue sewing thread
- Sewing needle and sewing machine
- Fusible webbing for fabric, 5”x12” rectangle
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse webbing onto wrong sides of light green, medium blue, and turquoise fabric rectangles.
- Print out patterns. Cut anchor and right sail from light green fused-fabric, bottom of boat from medium blue fused-fabric, and left sail from turquoise fused-fabric.
- Position boat shapes on center front of towel (Note: Do not fuse). Cut 2-1/2” yellow rick rack length. Position rick rack horizontally across left sail, 3/8” from bottom edge, turning ends under edges of sail. Position anchor on center front of other towel. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse shapes on towels.
- Use sewing machine to sew straight stitch around shapes close to edges and across center of yellow rick rack, overlapping stitches at beginning and end.
- Use sewing machine to sew light blue rick rack across front of towels, 1” from bottom edges, turning ends under at edges of towels, sewing through center of rick rack.
- Use needle and thread to sew yellow buttons on top of turquoise buttons. Sew stacked buttons on center of right sail and on center top of anchor.
- Tie ribbon lengths into bows. Trim ends even. Sew bows along anchor.