Star-Spangled Hostess Apron
- White cotton twill fabric
- Red satin fabric
- Full-length blank apron pattern of choice
- Tulip One-Step Dye: Blue
- Tulip Soft Fabric Paints: Royal Blue Matte, Crimson Red Matte, Glacier White Matte
- Tulip Beads in a Bottle Paint: White Pearl
- Tulip Sponge Pouncer
- Spray bottle
- Adhesive-backed freezer paper
sewing machine, thread, scissors, sewing pins, ruler, painter’s tape, liner brush, iron, plastic tablecloth (to cover work surface), craft knife, marker pen, foam plate for palette
- Wash and dry white cotton fabric. Do not use fabric softener. Measure and cut out white cotton fabric according to apron pattern.
- On covered work surface, dampen apron skirt fabric and position covered work surface. Wearing gloves, add water to Blue dye bottle and shake until dye is thoroughly mixed. Pour dye into spray bottle. Spray one third of skirt fabric with Blue dye, then refill spray bottle with water to dilute color and shake to mix. Spray diluted Blue onto middle third of fabric, then add more water to spray bottle to dilute color and spray on remaining portion of fabric. Cover fabric with plastic tablecloth to keep damp and let set for 6 to 8 hours or longer for most intense color. Rinse thoroughly in warm running water until runoff is clear, then wash in a large load of hottest water suitable for fabric and a small amount of laundry soap. Dry separately.
- Position white cotton apron bodice fabric on work surface. Use painter’s tape to tape off 3/4” horizontal stripes, 1” apart, along fabric. Press firmly along tape edges.
- Squeeze Royal Blue Soft Fabric Paint onto palette. Use Sponge Pouncer to dab paint in between strips of tape; let dry. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Apply strips of tape vertically along fabric (over Royal Blue stripes) about 1-1/4” apart. Apply strips of tape horizontally over Royal Blue stripes to protect from Crimson Red paint. Squeeze Crimson Red onto palette. Use Sponge Pouncer to dab Crimson Red into squares blocked off between Royal Blue stripes; let dry. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Use tape to block off 1/16”-wide horizontal lines 1/4” below Royal Blue lines. Use liner brush to paint areas Crimson Red; let dry. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Sew apron together as directed by pattern, using red satin for sash.
- Use marker pen to hand draw five varying-size stars on freezer paper. Cut out inside of stars, creating stencil. Position stencil, waxy side down, on apron skirt and iron to adhere stencil in place.
- Squeeze Glacier White onto palette. Use Sponge Pouncer to dab paint into star openings of stencil; let dry. Remove stencil and let dry completely.
- Use White Pearl Beads in a Bottle Paint to create dots around stars; let dry.
- 1. Tulip Soft Fabric Paint is flexible and soft enough to sew through with your machine.