A Very Festive Fourth Table Runner
- Tulip Glam-It-Up! Iron-On Fashion Design: 13 Red Stars
- White cotton fabric
- Satin ribbon: red, white, blue
- Tulip Soft Fabric Paints: Royal Blue Matte, Crimson Red Matte, Platinum Metallic
- Tulip Sponge Pouncer
- Tulip Mini Fashion Iron
sewing machine, thread, scissors, sewing pins, ruler, hobby knife, painter’s tape, liner brush, foam plate for palette, pressing cloth, iron, freezer paper
- Measure and cut two 14”x47” cotton fabric rectangles.
- On right side of one cotton rectangle, use painter’s tape to tape off 1”-wide section, 4” in from each end. Measure 2” in from taped sections on end of runner and press another vertical strip of tape, then measure over another 7” and run another strip of tape. Run strips of tape horizontally in between vertical strips to create five 1-1/2”-thick stripes. Measure in 4” and run another strip of vertical tape. Add more tape strips to create additional striped pattern. Refer to photo.
- On covered work surface, squeeze Crimson Red and Royal Blue paints on palette. Using separate Sponge Pouncer for each color, sponge paint taped off sections as shown; let dry. Add additional coat for opaque coverage. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Once striped sections have completely dried, place strips of tape over paint along edges to protect stripes when creating polka dots. Pounce Crimson Red and Royal Blue polka dots between vertical blue stripes and red- and white-striped sections as shown. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Tape off 1/16” dividing lines on both sides of red- and white-striped sections. Use liner brush to paint Platinum Metallic between tape strips; let dry. Remove tape and let dry completely.
- Position fabric on ironing board and preheat dry iron to wool setting. Working in small sections at one time, peel backing from Iron-On Stars and arrange in remaining white sections. Cover stars with thin pressing cloth and iron in place following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cut eight 8” lengths from each ribbon color. Position ribbon, alternating colors, along width of right side of bottom of table runner (leaving 1” of space between edges and ribbon). Stitch ribbon in place.
- Pin top and bottom of right sides together and sew 1/2” seam around all edges, leaving opening on long side of runner for turning.
- Trim corners and turn table runner right side out. Press. Topstitch 1/4” from edge to finish.
- 1. Use hobby knife and ruler to trim stars that will align with edge of star field.