Sandpiper Tea Towel and Salt & Pepper Shakers
- Fabrics: 1/2 yd. blue ticking; 1/8 yd. denim; scraps: red/white print, black/white print, wool felt, burlap
- Glass salt and pepper shaker set
- Polyform Sculpey III Clays: Ivory, Silver Metallic, Black
- Wooden acorn finial, 1/2”
- Metallic foil, two 1/2”x6” strips
- Black pebble bead, one 6/0
- Silver seed bead
- Kreinik Metallic Threads: Silver (001), Fine #8 Braid, Tapestry #12 Braid
- Assorted small stones or glass beads
- Needles: sewing, embroidery, tapestry
- Sewing thread in coordinating colors
- Sewing machine
- Rubber stamp, in summer sentiment of choice
- Black pigment inkpad
- DecoArt Americana: Gloss Enamels: Deep Midnight Blue; Acrylic Paints: Snow White, Lamp Black; Dazzling Metallics: Emperors Gold
- Parchment-lined baking sheet
- Aleene’s Liquid Fusion
- The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam Fusible Webbing
scissors, paintbrush, measuring tape, wax candle, sanding block, iron
- 1. Using 1/2” seam allowance, cut 16”x28” ticking fabric rectangle. Press and pin seams. Use sewing machine and thread to hem seams.
- 2. Using iron and pressing surface, follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse webbing onto scraps of red print fabric, denim fabric, white and black fabric, wool felt, and burlap. Using 1/2” seam allowance for all fabrics, cut two 1-1/2”x8-1/2” red fabric strips, 6”x7” denim fabric square, and 2”x3” burlap rectangle. Slightly fray edges.
- 3. Print out patterns. Cut sandpiper from white wool felt, and beak and wing from black/white print fabric. Fuse pieces in place on front center of towel (fold towel into thirds).
- 4. Ink rubber stamp with ink and stamp sentiment onto burlap rectangle. Use iron on low heat setting to heat set ink.
- 5. Use sewing machine and contrasting-color thread to sew straight stitch on edges of denim, red fabric, and burlap rectangle.
- 6. Thread embroidery needle with fine braid and backstitch edges of sandpiper, wing, and beak on towel. Thread tapestry needle with tapestry braid and backstitch legs on bird. For bird’s eye, thread sewing needle with sewing thread and sew pebble bead on needle, followed by seed bead. Pull needle from front to back of towel. Knot at back to secure.
Salt & Pepper Shakers
- 1. On covered work surface, paint bottom third of glass shakers Deep Midnight Blue. Paint wooden knob Lamp Black. Allow to dry. Rub surface randomly with wax candle. When dry, lightly sand surface for distressed look.
- 2. On clean work surface, condition Ivory clay. When pliable, use pattern to form Ivory clay into sandpiper shape. Press sandpiper on surface of dry painted glass. Condition 1/2” Ivory clay ball. When soft and pliable, roll ball into 1/2”x6” strip. Wrap strip (sand) around bottom of shaker. Condition small Black clay ball. Shape ball into wing, referring to pattern, and press on sandpiper. Condition tiny Silver Metallic ball. Form ball into beak shape and press on sandpiper. Use scraps of Black clay to form legs, referring to photo. Repeat steps for remaining shaker.
- 3. Position shakers upright on parchment-lined baking sheet. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake shakers in oven. (Note: This will cure glass paint as well). Let cool completely.
- 4. Cut 1/2”-wide aluminum foil strip to 6” length. Wrap and glue foil strip around top of shaker. Glue assorted stones below sandpiper. Glue painted knob on top of shaker. Repeat steps for remaining shaker.