"An Acorn into an Oak" Growth Chart
- Natural canvas, 60”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Decorative-print fabric, 60”-wide, 1 yd.
- Heavy fusible interfacing, 1/2 yd.
- Brown fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Green fabric, scraps in various prints: 1/4 yd.
- Coordinating-color sewing thread
- Wrights Rick Rack: Seal Brown Medium
- Loew-Cornell Paintbrushes: Series 5708 (Size 2 Shader), Series 5806 (Size 2 Round), Series 5703 (Size 1 Round)
- Tulip Soft Fabric Paint: Golden Tan, Glacier White
- Aleene’s Fabric Fusion
sewing machine, scissors, iron, measuring tape, straight pins
- Cut 14”x58” natural canvas rectangle. From decorative-print fabric (for borders), cut two 4-1/2”x58” rectangles, one 4-1/2”x20” rectangle, and one 10-1/2”x20” rectangle. For back of chart, cut one 20”x60” decorative-print rectangle.
- Print out patterns. Cut four large and six small leaves from green fabric. Cut one 4”x7” green rectangle (for saying). Tape tree trunk pieces together. Cut tree from brown fabric.
- Sew one 4-1/2”x58” decorative-print strip, with right sides together, along long edge of canvas rectangle (for left side border) and remaining 4-1/2”x58” decorative-print strip, with right sides together, along other long edge of canvas rectangle (for right side border). Press open seams.
- Sew 4-1/2”x20” decorative-print strip, with right sides together, along top edge of canvas and 10”x20” decorative-print strip, with right sides together, along bottom edge of canvas. Press open seams.
- Use fabric glue to glue tree trunk on canvas, aligning bottom and right side. Let dry.
- Appliqué tree trunk using zigzag stitch and brown thread. Appliqué leaves using smaller zigzag stitch and green thread.
- Measure 2 ft., 3 ft., 4 ft., and 5 ft. down length of canvas. (Note: Bottom border edge is 1 ft. mark.)
- Paint measurement lines using Shader and Golden Tan. Use Size 2 Round and 5:1 mixture of Glacier White and Golden Tan to paint “from tiny acorns do mighty oak trees grow” on green fabric rectangle. Let dry.
- Use Size 1 Round and Golden Tan to highlight saying. Let dry.
- Glue saying rectangle on chart. Let dry. Topstitch, with coordinating-color thread, Seal Brown rick rack over borders of canvas saying.
- Place right sides together of 20”x60” decorative-print rectangle, matching top corners and sides. Pin together. Stitch around the top and sides, stopping 1/2” from side bottom. Leave bottom open. Take front side bottom selvage and pin to back side bottom selvage. Pin sides as well. Stitch only along sides.
- Turn growth chart right sides out. Hand stitch opening closed using needle and thread on back of growth chart.
- For hanger, cut four 8” lengths of Seal Brown rick rack. Measure 4” inward on top edge of growth chart. Sew rick rack lengths on marks, folding raw edges over. Tie rick rack lengths into bows.
- Press well using steam, carefully avoiding painted areas.
- 1. When using Fabric Fusion, apply small amounts and spread very thinly using your finger. This keeps the application even. When appliquéing large items, like the tree trunk, keep fabric rolled up loosely when you are not appliquéing. This makes working with project under sewing machine much more manageable.