Mosaic Butterfly Tray
- Wooden tray, 8-1/2”x12”
- Mosaic Mercantile 3/4” Vitreous Glass Tiles: one 24-piece bag of each: Black, Tomato, Canary, Clover, Lime, Pacific, Tangerine
- Mosaic Mercantile 3/8” Mini Earthtones Mix of Glass Tiles, three 1/6-lb. bags
- Mosaic Mercantile Premixed Grout: 8 oz. White
- Mosaic Mercantile Mosaic Grout Sealer, 8 oz.
- Mosaic Mercantile Basic Tile Nipper
- Group spreading tool and sponge
- Brown acrylic paint
- Wooden craft stick
- Safety googles and gloves
- Mosaic Mercantile Adhesive, 4 oz.
sponge brush, paintbrush, newspaper
- Paint tray with brown paint. Let dry. Freehand butterfly design or transfer found butterfly image onto tray. Use photo as guide.
- Wearing safety goggles, use tile nipper to nip 3/4” glass tiles into random pieces and shapes. To nip tile, place tile between blades of tile nipper and squeeze blades together. Cup other hand over tile while squeezing.
- Use craft stick to apply adhesive onto butterfly design. Press tiles onto design, leaving 1/16” and 1/8” spaces between pieces. Glue mini Earthtones tiles onto background of design and tray in semicircular pattern, leaving 1/8” between pieces. Let dry overnight.
- Use grout spreader tool to scoop grout and spread over tiles, filling in gaps between pieces. Work grout into gaps until grout level is smooth with tile surfaces. Let harden for 10 minutes.
- Use grout sponge to wipe grout from tiles. Wash sponge with water between cleaning tiles. Let grout dry for 24 hours.
- Use wooden craft stick to loosen any remaining excess grout. Use cloth or paper towel to polish tiles of any dust or debris.
- Use paintbrush to apply sealer onto grout lines.