Spooky Jar Friends
- Smooth Ball Jars with lids, 7” tall, three (Alltrista)
- Air-Dry PermEnamel*: Glass Paint: Black; Iridescent Glass Paint: Orange/Gold; Paints: Ultra Black; Limeade; Tangerine; Ultra White; Hunter Green
- Felt: black; orange; lime green; dark green
- Ribbon, 18” lengths: coordinating (bat); pale gold and dark green organza (pumpkin)
- Assorted seed beads
- Gold wire, 19-gauge
- Paint & Toss™ Pouncers*
- PermEnamel Surface Conditioner*
- Ceramcoat Metal Primer*
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Spray bottle
- Sewing needle and black thread
- Battery-operated tea lights
- Hole punch
- Wire cutters
- Craft knife
- Sobo Glue*
- *Products by Delta Creative, Inc.
- 1. Do not thin PermEnamel paints with water or add water to paintbrushes. Let paint cure for 10 days once project is completed.
- 1. Wash jars with warm, soapy water.
Rinse and dry thoroughly. Pour Surface
Conditioner into spray bottle and replace nozzle. Completely mist all glass surfaces; let dry. (Note: Surface
Conditioner leaves slight haze on glass, which dissipates as paint cures over next 10 days.)
- 2. Arrange lids on paper plate so jars can perch on them. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to drip Spider and Bat jars with Black glass paint and pumpkin jar with Orange/Gold paint. Set aside on jars to dry.
- 3. When dry, use paper towel to wipe drips from bottoms. Turn jars upside-down and set aside to finish drying overnight.
- 4. Print and cut out patterns.
- 1. Replace lid and mist jar with Surface
- 2. Pour Limeade and Tangerine puddles onto paper plate. Dip pouncer into Limeade, tap off excess on plate, then dab onto jar to form eye. Repeat for remaining eye. Transfer mouth. Use #1 round brush to paint mouth Tangerine. Let dry and apply second coat.
- 3. Dot eyes Ultra Black; let dry. Add smaller Ultra White highlight dots to eyes.
- 4. Cut two wings from black felt; glue to jar.
- 5. For hat, use paper plate and marker to draw circle on orange felt; cut out. Use ruler to mark in from edge 1” to form smaller circle. Use needle and thread to sew basting stitch around
smaller circle; pull threads to gather, and tie onto top of jar.
- 6. Use hole punch to punch little dots from lime green felt; glue to hat. Tie coordinating ribbons around gathered area of hat.
- 1. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 from bat jar.
- 2. Mark and cut lime green circle same size as top of cup. Mark in
approximately 1/2” to form a smaller
circle. Clip around circle to allow edges to fold down. Glue to bottom of cup.
- 3. Cut two 2”x12” rectangles each from orange and lime green felt. Glue
together lengthwise so they are slightly taller than cup. Let dry. Glue striped pieces around cup, tucking top edges in and gluing as you go.
- 4. Cut eight legs from black felt; glue to jar.
- 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions
to apply Metal Primer to lid. Let dry.
- 2. Mist jar with Surface Conditioner. Let
- 3. Transfer eyes and mouth; use round brush to paint Ultra Black. Let dry and apply second coat.
- 4. Sponge paint lid Hunter Green. Let dry and repeat.
- 5. Cut four leaves from dark green felt. Draw vein lines.
- 6. Cut 12” wire length; thread needle. Loosely baste wire in place on back side of leaf along main vein line. Sew seed beads to vein lines, reinforcing stitching to hold wire in place along vein line.
- 7. Loosely baste beaded leaf with another leaf, 1/4” from edge. Sew seed beads in place around edges, reinforcing stitches as you work.
- 8. Replace jar lid and tie ribbon around
top of jar. Thread wire through knot and
position leaves as desired.
- 1. If you are not comfortable painting faces on jars, use provided patterns to cut them from felt instead.