Vintage Needle-Felted Centerpiece
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow): block,
4”x4”x4”; ball, 3-1/2”
- Black star decorative paper, 12”x12”
- Cardstock: orange; cream
- Orange wool roving
- Black wool felt
- Image Emporium Downloadable Images*: Halloween I (#IE308); Halloween IV (#IE162) (The Vintage Workshop)
- Ribbon, 1-1/2”, 1 yd.: gold organza; black satin
- Decorative tinsel
- Needle Felting Tool or Needle Felting Needles (Clover)
- Stickles Diamond Glitter Glue (Ranger)
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Zip Dry Paper Glue (Beacon Adhesives)
- Computer and color printer
- Cut 4”x12” strips from decorative paper. Wrap and glue paper strips around STYROFOAM block, covering completely.
- Needle felt orange wool roving onto STYROFOAM ball. Apply glue to toothpick end; insert in needle felted ball. Apply glue to remaining toothpick end; insert in center top of paper-covered block.
- Download and print Halloween image; cut out and mat on orange cardstock, leaving a 1/4” border. Trim edges with scallop-edge scissors. Adhere Halloween image to front of paper-covered block.
- For hat, cut 2-1/2”x9” strip and 3” circle from black wool felt. Roll strip into a cylinder shape; glue ends to secure. Adhere circle to bottom of cylinder. Place small square onto top of hat; trim even with hat; glue. Glue hat to head.
- Print and cut out patterns. Cut shapes
from black wool felt and glue to face.
- For collar, sew gathering stitches along
ribbon edges; pull threads to gather and
glue around neck.
- Use Stickles™ to apply accents to Halloween image.
Needle Felting on STYROFOAM
- 1. Needle felting is quick and easy. It requires a special felting needle that has extremely sharp barbs along the needle. The higher the needle number, the finer the needle, which leaves a smaller hole in the design.
- 2. Place wool roving onto STYROFOAM. When needle is pushed into STYROFOAM, the barbs pull the wool roving locking them together in place. As a result, no glue is needed.