Chalkboard Fabric Banner
- Camelot Fabrics Chalkboard Fabric, 12”x48”
- Double-fold bias tape in coordinating color, 3 yds.
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Artist’s fixative spray
fabric marker, straight pins, scissors, dry cloth, measuring tape, sewing needle
- Print out pattern. Cut out pennant and trace two pennant shapes for each letter in banner saying onto wrong side of chalkboard fabric. Cut out pennant shapes.
- With right sides out, machine-sew pennants together in pairs with 1/2" seam allowance. Trim edges if needed to align.
- If your message is to be permanent, skip this step. If you want to erase and change your banner’s message for future use, color entire surface of each flag with chalk and wipe off with dry cloth.
- Cut 78" length of bias tape. Adjust length as needed depending on banner saying. Hem ends with 1/4" rolled hem. Fold tape in half to find center and mark.
- Pin short side of one pennant between folds of bias tape with pennant centered on center mark. Continue pinning pennants to tape at 1" intervals, placing three on each side of center flag. Machine-sew pennants in place with continuous stitching 1/4" from open edge of bias tape along entire length. Hand-sew backstitch at both ends.
- Write message on pennants using chalk. To make design permanent, spray with fixative to keep chalk from smudging.