Friendship Tea Jar Wrap
- Fredrix Unmounted Canvas, one 12”x16” sheet
- Canning jar (with lid and ring), 1 quart
- Shipping tag, 1-1/2”x2-1/2”
- White self-adhesive dots, three 1/2”
- Floral-print fabric, small square
- Rusty wire, 22-gauge, 16” length
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Rose, Avocado Green, Butter, Charcoal Gray, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Lemonade, Midnight Green, Moon Yellow, Pansy Lavender, Shale Green, Summer Lilac, Titanium White
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distressing Ink
- DecoArt Duraclear Matte Varnish
- Loew-Cornell brushes: (7550) Wash 3/4”, (7400) Angular Shader 1/2”, (247) Crescent 1/4”, (7050) Script 10/0 1/2”, (7500) #2 and #6 Filberts, Maxine’s Magic Mop (2701) 1/2”, (7900) Deerfoot Stippler 1/8”
scissors, wire cutters, ruler, pencil, masking tape, fine-point black permanent marker
- 1. Cut 4”x13-1/2” strip from canvas sheet. Basecoat both sides Shale Green. (Note: One side of canvas is smoother than the other; the smooth side will be the design side.) Apply second coat of Shale Green to design side. While still wet, dip a corner of brush in Titanium White and slip-slap white into green. Measure 1/2” along both long edges and tape off. Base edges Titanium White. When dry, shade Titanium White with Charcoal Gray, keeping darker color towards center strip.
- 1. When painting design, use best-sized brush for area painting. For sideload shading, if area is large, first dampen surface with water, then use mop brushes to soften float. For basecoating, use filbert brushes.
- 1. Print out pattern. Trace the main pattern lines for the cat, tea set, and vase. Position pattern on one end of canvas. (Note: This allows area for canvas to overlap when positioned around jar.)
- 2. Basecoat cat Charcoal Gray and paws Titanium White. Basecoat tea set Moon Yellow and vase Summer Lilac.
- 3. Trace the pattern details onto basecoated images.
- 4. Paint insides of cat’s ears with small brush mix of Titanium White and Charcoal Gray, cat’s nose Antique Rose, and cat’s eyes Lamp Black.
- 5. Use 1/8” deerfoot to stipple cat’s cheeks and chest Titanium White.
- 6. Brush mix White and Charcoal Gray. Add hair lines along outside of cat’s head, body, and tail. With Titanium White, add hairs between eyes in “v” shape. Shade bottom of cat’s cheeks with light sideload of Charcoal Gray.
- 7. Shade Charcoal Gray along bottom of cat’s front feet and on back feet to separate from front feet.
- 8. Add white sparkles to eyes and tip of nose. Use 10/0 script liner to paint whiskers and toes with thinned Lamp Black.
- 9. For tea set, paint lines on creamer and sugar bowl Pansy Lavender with Avocado Green stripe. Paint teacup below rim thin Avocado Green line. Paint band around tea pot Avocado Green, flowers Pansy Lavender dots, and leaves Avocado Green. When flowers are dry, add Titanium White squiggle on center. Paint vertical stripes Pansy Lavender with Avocado dots and knob on teapot and sugar bowl lids Pansy Lavender with Moon Yellow dot.
- 10. Shade tea set Honey Brown. Shade either side of teapot, creamer, sugar bowl, and tea cup. Shade inside creamer and to inside of handle. Shade to bottom of teapot lid, top of bottom ridge, and to inside edge of handle. Shade inside of spout and to bottom of spout behind creamer. Shade lid of sugar bowl to bottom and inside edges of handles. Shade tea cup on inside and to inside of handle. Use script liner to paint tiny Honey Brown line. Shade saucer on either side of cup.
- 11. Use 1/4” crescent to add Butter highlights on center of creamer, tea pot, sugar bowl, and tea cup. Use angular shader to add sideloaded Butter highlights to lid, outside edges of handles, and to rim of saucer.
- 12. Shade vase Pansy Lavender on either side. Add Titanium White dots on vase. Use crescent brush to dry brush Summer Lilac/Titanium White mix on center of vase.
- 13. Use deerfoot brush and Avocado Green to lightly stipple foliage above vase, carrying some over front and to sides. Use script liner to pull Avocado Green stems and tiny leaves. Use large end of stylus to dot flowers Moon Yellow and Lemonade. Refer to photo for flower placement.
- 14. Shade tea set and vase Midnight Green. Using crescent brushes, dry brush Pansy Lavender on background. (Note: Keep this light for suggestion of some color.)
- 15. Paint all line work Lamp Black. Refer to photo for line work placement.
- 16. Use 10/0 liner and Lamp Black thinned to inky consistency for lettering.
- 1. Cut flower shape from canvas sheet.
- 2. Basecoat flower Summer Lilac. Shade flower Pansy Lavender towards center of each petal. Highlight outside of petals Butter. Stipple center of flower Moon Yellow. Stipple Honey Brown in crescent shape along one edge of center. Paint crisscross design to center with thinned Avocado Green. Pull black lines out from flower center onto each petal. Add Honey Brown and Butter dots around flower center.
- 3. Basecoat leaves Avocado Green. Shade leaves Midnight Green and highlight tips Lemonade. Paint vein lines mix of Midnight Green and Avocado Green. When leaves are dry, use crescent brushes to add tint of Pansy Lavender.
- 1. Allow paint to cure. Varnish all pieces with several coats of Americana Matte varnish.
- 2. Wrap the canvas around jar. Apply adhesive-backed dots along two ends.
- 3. Punch hole on one flower petal.
- 4. Using the distressing ink and the crescent brush, antique edges of shipping tag. Add doodled borders and write “Friendship Tea.” Write tea recipe instructions on back of tag.
- 5. Cut circle from fabric, slightly larger than jar lid.
- 6. Wrap rusty wire around lid; twist together and add flower tag on wire ends. Curl wire ends.
- 7. Fill jar with Friendship Tea mix.
- 8. Screw lid on jar and wrap canvas around jar.