Appliqué Black Cat Pillow
- Polka dot print cotton fabric: black, 1/2 yd.; orange, 1/4 yd.
- Wool felt: white, 1/4 yd.; black, 1/8 yd.
- Fairfield Home Elegance Square Pillow Insert, 14”
- Wooden circle, 1”
- Royal and Langnickel Autumn Sentiments E-Z Rub-on Transfers
- Adhesive-backed rhinestones
- Jump ring, 10mm
- Sewing thread: black, white
- Sewing machine
- Chain-nose pliers
- Hand drill and bit
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Snow White
- Adhesives: The Warm Co. Lite Steam-a-Seam; Beacon Adhesives Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, paintbrush, iron and pressing surface, sewing needle, sanding block, wax candle, pencil, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- On covered work surface, paint circle Lamp Black. Let dry. Rub surface randomly with wax candle. Paint circle Snow White. Let dry. Use sanding block to gently sand surface. (Note: Areas where wax was applied will remove easily to reveal distressed finish.) Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply “fall” rub-on onto circle. Use hand drill to drill hole on one edge of circle. Set aside.
- Using 1/2” seam allowance, cut two 15” squares from black print fabric. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply fusible adhesive onto black and white felt and onto orange print fabric using iron and pressing surface.
- Print out pattern. Trace black cat onto paper side of black fused-felt. Trace 10” circle onto paper side of orange fused-fabric. Trace 7” circle onto paper side of white fused-felt. Use scissors to cut out all shapes. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to layer and fuse shapes as shown onto right side of one 15” black print square.
- Use sewing machine and thread to straight stitch around edges of all fused pieces. Use black sewing thread around edges on orange and white circles and white sewing thread around edges on cat.
- With right sides facing in, sew pillow front and back together, leaving bottom open for turning. Steam seams open; turn right side out. Insert pillow form. Use sewing needle and thread to whipstitch bottom opening closed.
- Use glue to secure 2-1/2” of adhesive rhinestones around neck of cat. Use chain-nose pliers to open jump ring; attach to hole on wooden circle (tag). Adhere “tag” onto cat’s neck using gem glue.
- 1. Omit the steps involved using the fusible adhesive by sewing the shapes together using a blanket stitch. Machine sew the constructed circle onto fabric square before sewing pillow front and back together.