Country Holly Basket Ornament
- Wool felt, scraps: lt. heather brown; olive green; dk. green
- White cardstock
- Assorted flat buttons, 7/16” to 1/2”: red, three; off-white, two
- Jute twine
- Red hemp cord
- Pine cones
- Brown ink pad
- Black pearl cotton, #8
- Off-white sewing thread
- Embroidery needle
- Hole punch, 1/8”
- Fabric glue
- Computer and printer or black fine-tip permanent marker
- For basket, cut 2-1/2”x7-1/2” rectangle
(side) and 2-3/4” circle (bottom) from
brown wool felt.
- For basket side, overlap short ends of rectangle 1/4” to make tub; sew running stitch close to edges to join.
- Pin felt circle to bottom of basket side; sew running stitch close to edges.
- Blanket stitch over piece of jute along top edge of basket, butting jute ends together at center back.
- For handle, cut 8” just length. Use off-white thread to sew buttons over jute pieces, 1/2” from ends at top sides of basket.
- Print and cut out pattern. Cut holly leaves from olive green felt and a second slightly larger set of holly leaves from dk. green felt. Place
olive leaves on top of dark leaves; sew
running stitch close to olive leaf edges
to join. Sew center of leaves to center
front of basket. For berries, use off-white thread to sew red buttons overlapping at center of leaves.
- For tag, use computer to print or handwrite “jolly holly days” on cardstock; trim into tag shape and antique edges brown. Punch hole in tag. Thread red cord through hole and tie bow around basket handle.
- Glue pine cones inside basket.
- 1. Use one strand of pearl cotton for all blanket and running stitches.