Paper Mache Bird Ornament
- STYROFOAM brand foam*: Eggs,
- Patterned papers: Oh Baby! Boy blue dot; Spring Jewels pink dot; Storrow Drive green swirl & Butterfly Dot green
- White cardstock
- Newsprint paper
- Feathers, three each: turquoise; pink; lavender
- Pewter brads, six
- Nylon fishing line, 10” lengths, three
- Americana Acrylic Paints: Limeade; Baby Pink; Baby Blue; Royal Fuchsia
- Glamour Dust
- Bright pink ink pad
- Disposable gloves
- Adhesives: Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive; Zip Dry Paper Glue
- Scallop-edge scissors
- Circle punches, 1/16”; 1/2”
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. (Note: Glue card stock to back of patterned papers to make them more sturdy.)
- 1. For body, mix equal parts Gem-Tac with water. Cut 1/2”x10” stripes from newsprint. Wearing gloves, place newsprint strips in glue mixture and wrap around egg, covering it completely. Place egg on small surface, such as a paint or bottle cap, to dry. Paint body Limeade.
- 2. For beak, cut 2-1/2” circle from green
dot paper; cut in half. Rub pink ink on
rounded edge of half circle, using dry
sponge scrap. Wrap half circle into cone
shape, overlapping straight sides, and glue. Glue beak to one end of egg.
- 3. For eyes, punch two 1/2” circles from white paper. Punch 1/16” hole in center of circles; attach brads. Apply glue to circles, then press into face above beak.
- 4. For cheeks, paint 3/4” circles on both sides of beak Royal Fuchsia, then quickly sprinkle Glamour Dust on wet paint. Shake off excess glitter.
- 5. From green swirl paper, cut two wings (in mirror image) and one tail, cutting bottom edges with scallop-edge scissors. Ink scalloped edges of wings and tail. Make 1” cuts into bottom of wings and tail between scallops. Bend scalloped edges outward.
- 6. Glue turquoise feather to underside of wings and tail. Glue wings to sides of bird. For hanger, knot ends of one 10” nylon line length together. Glue nylon line under tail, 1/2” from top edge. Then glue top of tail to center top of bird.
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as green bird, painting egg Baby Blue, using blue dot paper for wings and tail, and gluing lavender feathers to underside of wings and tail.
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as green bird, painting egg with Baby Pink, using pink dot paper for wings and tail,
and gluing pink feathers to underside of
wings and tail.