Penny Rug Wall Hanging
- Wooden Large Memory Frame, 12”x12”
- Wool Felt: Black, 1/2 yd.; 1/4 yd.: Cameo Pink; Reets Relish; English Rose; Buttercup; Blushing Bride; scrap: Strawberry Dream
- Ceramcoat: Acrylic Paints: Black; Wild Rose; Gloss Varnish
- Sizzix: Die Cut Machine; Die Cuts: Flower Tulip; Leaf Stem; Circles
- Steam-A-Seam 2 Double-Stick Fusible Web
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss: Pink; Dk. Pink
- Creative Textile Tool
- Tempered Glass Mat
- Embroidery needle
- Fabric glue
- Dime (for pattern)
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to apply Steam-A-Seam 2 to wool felt colors.
- Print and cut out pattern. Cut two large base circles from Black wool felt.
- Use die cut machine to cut three leaf shapes from Reets Relish, four flowers from Cameo Pink, and four flowers from Buttercup. (Note: Only top portion of flower is used.)
- Use die cut machine to cut: 26 large black circles; 13 small English Rose circles; large English Rose circle. Use dime as pattern to cut one small circle and four extra small circles from Strawberry Dream.
- Use Creative Textile Tool with trowel point to fuse small pink circles onto small black circles.
- Use dk. pink floss to straight stitch pink circles to black circles.
- Place remaining black circles onto black/pink penny; use pink floss to blanket stitch circles together.
- Use photo as guide to arrange wool felt pieces onto black base circle; fuse in place in same way as Step 5.
- Use blanket and straight stitches to secure wool felt pieces to black base circle. Add remaining black base circle, and blanket stitch front and back together.
- Use pink floss to blanket stitch Black/Blushing Bride pennies from Step 7 around base circle, to black circle.
- Sand frame; wipe dust. Paint inside Wild Rose and remaining areas Black. Apply varnish.
- When dry, glue penny rug inside frame.
Creative Textile Tool Tips
- 1. Read manufacturer’s instructions before using tool.
- 2. Tool works best when used on a glass surface, ensuring your work area will not be damaged.
- 3. Use masking tape to secure pen holder to work surface.
- 4. Attach desired point. Place tool on stand and plug into electrical outlet. Turn switch on and let heat for 4-5 minutes.
- 5. When finished, turn switch off and let cool.