Appliquéd Tea Towels
- Tea towels, in print of choice, two
- Coordinating-print fabric, four different prints
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss: White
- DMC Perle Cotton #5: White
- DMC Chenille Needles: #24, #22
measuring tape, scissors, straight pins, iron
- Measure width of tea towel. Cut fabric strip 3-1/2"x width of tea towel, adding 1/2” to width measurement, from one print fabric. Fold fabric strip 1/4" to wrong side; finger press along all four sides. Pin edge in place. Use iron to press on fold line. Set strips aside.
- Measure and cut three 2-3/8"x3" rectangles from remaining three different print fabrics. Fold fabric rectangles 1/8" to wrong side; finger press along all four sides. Pin edges in place. Use iron to press on fold line. Set strips aside.
- Press towels and fold each towel in half. Fold towels in thirds with centerfold side right side up.
- Pin three fabric rectangles on centerfold. Refer to photo for placement. Position corners of upper and lower rectangles under center rectangle. Blanket stitch with two strands of White floss and chenille #24 needle to appliqué rectangles on towel.
- Position fabric strip over bottom edge of towel. Pin in place. Baste fabric strip with one strand of White floss. Feather stitch with White Pearl Cotton across towel.
- 1. To remove wrinkles from cotton or linen fabric, mix a teaspoon of white vinegar with two cups of water. Place mixture in spray bottle. Lightly spray fabric and use dry iron to press.