Heavenly Angel Ornament
- Light to medium weight fabrics: scrap pieces of blue dot; white dot; grey damask; solid cream; white satin
- White glitter medium rickrack
- Silver ribbon, 1/8”
- White pearl beads, 4mm, seven
- Flat Back Crystal (Swarovski), 5mm
- Chandelier crystal
- Crystal and silver wire chain, 6” length
- Warm & White needled cotton batting (The Warm Co.)
- Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 iron-on adhesive (The Warm Co.)
- Black embroidery floss
- Sewing thread: white; silver
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Sewing machine
- Round-nose pliers
- Iron and pressing board
- Print and cut out pattern. Cut two ornament shapes from blue dot fabric. Cut pieces from iron-on adhesive slightly larger than face, hair, gown and wing shapes. (Note: Wings are cut in one piece.) Adhere adhesive pieces to backs of appropriate fabrics. Cut out shapes from adhesive-backed fabrics, extending top and bottom of
head 1/4” from edges of pattern along
hair and neck lines. (Note: Edges are
overlapped by hair and gown pieces.)
- Place appliqué pieces on front of one of the blue dot ornament shapes, following pattern and fuse. Using silver
thread, machine sew a tiny machine straight stitch around appliqué pieces
close to outside edges.
- Transfer eyes and hair lines to face. Use one strand of black floss to back stitch eyelids, straight stitch lashes, and use lazy daisy stitches for hair strands.
- Cut a 2-1/4” length from ribbon. Fold raw edges under 1/4” and glue. Glue ribbon piece angled across hair for halo. Machine sew over ribbon to secure. Tie an additional piece of silver ribbon into tiny bow and stitch to left side of halo.
- Use white thread to sew pearl beads along neck edge.
- Cut an ornament shape from cotton
batting. Baste batting shape to wrong
side of front ornament shape. Sew
rickrack around side and bottom edges
of front ornament shape. (Note: Sew
through center of rickrack 1/4” from
edges.) Sew remaining ornament shape
to front shape with right sides together, along rickrack stitching. Trim corners and turn right side out.
- Turn top raw edges of ornament toward inside 1/4” and whip stitch closed. Fold top of ornament over 1/2” to back side. Whip stitch top of ornament to back side to create a casing.
- Insert wire through casing on ornament and bend ends into curls. Open up wire at ends of wire/bead chain and bend around wire on both sides of ornament.
- Sew chandelier crystal to bottom tip of
ornament. Glue crystal to center of bow