Birds of a Feather
- STYROFOAM* brand foam egg (Dow),
- Wool roving: fuchsia; turquoise; orange; accent color of choice for wings
- Long feathers in desired colors
- Beads: color of choice seed or 4mm faceted glass (wing accents); black or blue (eyes), 4mm, two
- Straight pins
- Sewing thread to match wool
- Felting needle, 38g
- Multi-needle felting tool
- Large brush needle felting mat
- Wire cutters
- Round-nose pliers
- Place tail of roving at one end of egg
and use felting needle tool to push into
egg in repeated poking motion. Spiral
wool around the top and sides, needle
felting as you work. Continue felting until egg is evenly covered.
- Position egg so tapered end is at bottom right and wide end to upper left. Feathers will be placed at tapered end and head at wide end. Tear off tuft of accent colored wool and
needle felt to breast area of bird in an
- Lay a 5”-6” strip of roving on mat and roll into loose ball shape. Use 38g needle to poke at ball shape in all different directions. If head is too
small. Add more wool. Repeats poking
with felting needle decreases ball size.
Use 38 g. needle to attach head above
breast area. Blend where head meets
body by tearing off a sliver of wool
and wrapping it around “neck”. Use 38
g. needle to secure wool to head and
body. Needle felt tufts of wool where
- Tear off another 5”-6” piece of wool and wrap it around your two fingers to make a wide ring/tube shape. Slide ring off and position on narrow end of egg. Attach tube shape to end of egg with felting needle. Continue needle felting tube shape especially at end for a tapered shape.
- Make a sheet of felt for wings by
laying two strips of roving side by side
horizontally on needle felting brush mat. Lay two or three more pieces side by side vertically on top of first layer. Place two more strips horizontally on top of last layer. Use multi-needle felting tool to poke through all layers into brush mat. Pull piece form mat frequently so it does not get too attached. Stop when all
layers are bonded.
- Pin wing pattern to felt sheet; cut out. Turn pattern over and repeat for second wing. Decorate wing with accent color wool by twisting it and needle felting to wing. Sew beads to wing. Use felting needle to attach top of wing just behind breast. Repeat for opposite wing.
- Make a small sheet of felt with orange roving in same way as wing. Cut a diamond shape from felt and fold in half. Push a pin through fold on
inside of bead and add a drop of glue to
pin. Position beak in bird’s head.
- For eyes, string black or blue beads onto straight pin, add drop of glue to pin and glue to either side of head.
- Cut an opening in middle of tapered tail
section. Bundle feather, apply glue to
ends and insert in opening. (Note: Clip
a clothes pin over top of tail to secure
Birds of a Feather