Clay Coaster with Quilted Holder
- Polyform Sculpey UltraLight Clay
- National Nonwovens Pea Soup WoolFelt
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Low-Loft Quilt Batting
- Kreinik Metallic Orangeruptis Ribbon, 1/16”
- Sewing machine and fine sewing thread
- Scallop-edge rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Sour Apple, Coral Blush, Lamp Black; Duraclear Satin Varnish
- Loew-Cornell La Corneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7000C Round #3, 6; Series 7550C Glaze/Wash 1”; Series 7300C Shader #2, 4, 6
- Acrylic roller, parchment-lined baking sheet, and oven
scissors, ruler, transfer paper, craft knife, pencil, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Print out full-size patterns. For each coaster, cut one coaster back and two coaster fronts from Pea Soup felt and one coaster front from batting using rotary cutter and cutting mat. Cut coaster square from cardstock to use as pattern when cutting clay.
- Condition clay in hands until soft and pliable. Roll clay to 1/8” thickness. Trace around cardstock coaster pattern on clay using craft knife. Remove excess clay. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay coaster on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- Transfer floral design on coaster using transfer paper and pencil.
- On covered work surface, outline floral design Lamp Black using #3 round. Trace over sections on black outline using #6 round. Let dry.
- Paint outer leaves and swirls Sour Apple using #2 shader. Paint flower petals Coral Blush using #4 and #6 shaders. Let dry. Apply coat of varnish over top and sides of coaster using glaze/wash. Let dry.
- For coaster holder, trim batting square 1/4” on all sides. Quilt two coaster top pieces together, with batting sandwiched between, hand-sewing with ribbon in rows 1/2” apart along coaster. Align bottom coaster with quilted top. Machine-sew around three sides using 1/8” seam allowance. Knot and clip thread ends.
- Insert painted floral coaster inside quilted holder. Repeat process to create additional coasters.
- 1. Save time by purchasing white ceramic tiles from your local home improvement store. Paint and seal coasters as instructed above.