Vintage Americana Centerpiece
- Vintage wooden bobbin (or wooden dowel and block)
- Fabric: red/white ticking; dk. blue homespun
- Wool felt scraps: black; brown
- White/off-white grosgrain ribbon, 1-1/2”, 7” length
- Off-white flat buttons: 5/16”; 7/8”
- Black perle cotton, #8
- Embroidery floss: vintage red; blue
- Large safety pin
- Wooden dowel, 5/16”, 11” length
- Jute twine
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Embroidery needle
- Tea bags
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue (API)
- Print and cut out patterns. Tea dye ticking fabric and grosgrain ribbon. Cut two heart shapes from ticking fabric.
- Transfer or freehand “USA” on ribbon. Use six strands of blue floss to back stitch on letters, and six strands of red floss to make French knots on dots, wrapping thread around needle three times for each knot. Use decorative-edge scissors to trim ribbon ends to 4-1/2” long.
- Pin ribbon angled across center front of one heart. Blanket stitch pinked edges with stitches going between indentations in pinking, and sew running stitch close to finished edges.
- Stack heart shapes together with right sides facing out. Sew running stitch about 1/4” from edges, leaving bottom open. Make cuts into heart around edge about 1/4” apart. (Note: Do not cut into stitching.) Pull on thread edges to distress them.
- Glue cardboard inside bottom of bobbin.
Place dowel inside bobbin. Stuff top of
heart with fiberfill. Place top of dowel
inside heart and finish stuffing. Place
bottom of heart over top of bobbin and
glue to secure. Wrap jute several times
around bottom of heart on bobbin. Knot jute, trim ends, and unravel.
- Cut two crow body shapes from black felt. Sew small button to one crow for eye. Stack shapes together with right sides facing out and blanket stitch around edges, stuffing crow with fiberfill before finishing. Cut two wing shapes from brown felt. Stack shapes together and blanket stitch around edges, stuffing with fiberfill before finishing. (Note: Stitched loops should go around outside edges.) Sew wing to crow and bottom of crow to top left side of heart.
- Cut two star shapes from blue homespun fabric. Stack shapes together and sew a running stitch 1/4” from edges, stuffing heart with fiberfill before finishing. Make cuts into star and around edge and distress in same way as heart. Sew remaining button to center of heart, going through all thicknesses.
- Attach large safety pin to left side of heart under ribbon. Insert jute through a large eyed sewing needle, then insert through top of star. Wrap jute around safety pin on heart and knot. Trim just ends and unravel.
- Use one strand of perle cotton for stitching and embroidery unless otherwise specified.