- Wool felt: white, 3/8 yd.; black,
- Cotton fabrics: red homespun, 1/4 yd.; blue homespun, 1/8 yd.; white solid, 1/8 yd.
- The Warm Co. Warm & Natural Needled Cotton Batting
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Assorted off-white buttons, 7/16”
- Sewing thread: off-white; black
- Sewing needle
- Tea bags
scissors, ruler, dryer, straight pins, iron and pressing surface
- 1. Sheep size is 10"x11"x5".
- 1. Sew all seams with right sides together, using a 1/4” seam allowance, pinning and pressing as needed.
- 1. Tea dye white wool felt and white cotton fabric. Dry in dryer.
- 2. Print and cut out patterns. To make sheep, cut two 10” squares and two tail shapes from tea-dyed white felt. Cut
two face shapes, four ear shapes, and eight leg shapes from black felt.
- 3. Sew straight edge of one face shape to
top right side of one 10” body square. Repeat for other body square, sewing face to opposite side of square. Use
black thread to sew button eyes to right side of faces, following dot on pattern.
- 4. Sew tail shapes together, leaving straight edge open. Trim seam allowance 1/8” from stitching, Turn tail right side out. Stuff with fiberfill. Baste
close to straight edges. Baste raw edge of tail to one body square 1/4” from top edge on opposite side of face.
- 5. Sew around body and face 1/4” from edges with right sides together, leaving 4” open at bottom for turning. (Note: Tail should be tucked inside
body.) Trim seam at corners. Turn body right side out through opening. Stuff body and face with fiberfill. Hand
sew opening closed.
- 6. Sew legs and ears together in pairs,
leaving straight edges open. Trim seam allowance 1/8” from stitching. Turn pieces right side out. Stuff with fiberfill. Turn straight edges of legs and ears over 1/4” to inside. Whipstitch turned edges to close seams. Whipstitch straight edges of legs evenly spaced to both sides of bottom front and back of body about 1” in from seams. Whipstitch straight edges of ears evenly to both sides of head.
- 7. For flag quilt, cut one 2-1/2”x7”
rectangle from blue fabric, two 1-1/2”x16” and two 1-1/2”x5” strips from red fabric, and one 1-1/2”x16” and two 1-1/2”x5” strips from tea-dyed white
- 8. Sew long sides of 5” white strips to 5” red strips. Sew assembled strips to short ends of blue rectangle. Sew long sides of 16” white and red strips together with white in the middle. Sew assembled 16” strips to assembled blue
section to make flag. See Figure 1.
- 9. Cut rectangles from batting and red fabric to same size as flag. Baste batting to wrong side of flag front. Sew flag to red rectangle, leaving 3” open on one side. Trim seam at corners. Turn flag quilt right side out through opening. Hand sew opening closed.
- 10. Sew buttons evenly spaced to blue rectangle on flag. Drape flag quilt over sheep. Tack wrong side of quilt to top of sheep to secure.