Kid’s Handprint Stepping Stone
- Polyform Sculpey III Oven-Bake Clay: Red, Just Orange, Yellow, Granny Smith, Emerald, Blue, White, Violet; UltraLight Clay, 8 oz. pkgs., two
- Polyform Sculpey: Acrylic Clay Roller, Work ’n Bake Clay Mat
- Clay conditioning machine, clay blade, baking sheet, and oven
- Outdoor multipurpose sealer
scissors, ruler, paintbrush
- Condition Sculpey III clays separately by running through clay conditioning machine until soft and pliable. Mix four parts Granny Smith with one part Emerald to make lime clay. Mix four parts Blue with one part White to make medium blue clay. Run small amounts of each color (Red, Just Orange, Yellow, lime, medium blue, and Violet) through clay conditioning machine on third thickest setting.
- Working on clay mat, cut clay into strips. See Photo 1. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay strips on clay mat on baking sheet in oven. Let cool completely.
- Condition both packages of UltraLight clay by running through clay conditioning machine until soft and pliable. Roll clay into large ball; place on mat. Flatten ball and roll into 10” diameter circle, with 1” thickness, using acrylic roller. Smooth surface by rubbing out fingerprints. See Photo 2.
- Have kid wash and dry hand thoroughly. Have kid press hand into clay circle firmly leaving impression. Wash clay from hand. See Photo 3.
- Cut or carefully break clay strips into small pieces using clay blade. Press clay pieces into white clay circle creating rainbow design, leaving 1/8” spaces between pieces. See Photo 4. Gently push clay pieces into clay circle so level with surface using end of paintbrush handle. See Photo 5.
- Smooth outside edge of circle using fingers. Position clay mat on baking sheet and follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake stepping stone in oven. Let cool completely.
- Apply multipurpose sealer onto all areas of stone. Let cure. Position stepping stone in garden in semi-covered area; avoid exposure to extreme weather and direct sunlight.