Patchwork Porch Pillows
- Cotton print fabrics: fat eighth strips, eight; fat quarters (pillow front and back), two
- Fiberfill stuffing or pillow forms
- Cording or piping, 1-1/2”x50”
- Sewing machine and contrasting-color thread (and zipper or piping sewing machine foot)
- Rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mat
straight pins, sewing needle
- 1. Size is 16”x12”, 16” diameter.
- 1. For rectangular pillow, cut ten 3”x12” strips from various print fat quarters. Pin two strips with wrong sides together and zigzag sew on sides of strips using sewing machine. Repeat with additional strips to make five double-sided strips. (Note: For circular pillow, make four double-sided strips.) See Figure 1.
- 2. Cut background fabric to 16-1/2”x12-1/2”. Pin strips in place, with first strip 1/2” from edge of background fabric. (Note: The rest of the strips will touch each other.) Machine-sew down edge of each strip 3/4” from edges. Machine-sew strips along top and bottom of pillow to background piece. See Figure 2.
- 3. Center cording for piping on bias strip. Fold over, meeting edge, and sew on side of cording. See Figure 3. Pin cording to right side of pillow front where raw edges will meet. (Note: Ends will run off edge overlapping 1/4”.) Machine topstitch cording in place; clip corners so fabric lies flat. See Figure 4.
- 4. Cut backing fabric to 12-1/2”x12-1/2” and 12-1/2”x7”. Hem one side of 12-1/2” piece. Layer backing with right sides together facing front piece. (Note: Smaller back piece will be on top of larger piece with hem on inside.)
- 5. Machine-sew around edges of pillow; snip corners and turn right side out. See Figure 5. Stuff pillow with fiberfill stuffing or pillow form; hand-sew opening closed.
- 6. Pinch together two sides of strips; machine-sew to secure. Repeat with other strips, varying position of pinch; sew to secure. See Figure 6.
- 7. For circular pillow, follow directions above except for the following. In Step 2, cut 16”-diameter background circle. In Step 4, cut two 16”-diameter circles and trim one circle 4” and hem and other circle 6”.