Garden Party Apron with Flowerpot Pockets
- Cotton fabrics: medium weight: camel or neutral rectangle (apron),
21”x33”; burnt orange (pocket), 1/4 yd.; coordinating print (waistband/pocket strips), 1/8 yd.; lightweight: burnt orange (pocket lining), 1/4 yd.; green scrap (leaves); three shades of purple (flower)
- Buttons, two each: purple, 1”; neutral, 11/16”
- Green wide bias tape (flower stems/waist ties), 2 pkgs.
- Sewing machine and coordinating thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Turn side and bottom edges of apron rectangle over 3/8” to wrong side. Turn 3/8” again to encase raw edges. Sew close to turned edges. (Note: Do not sew top 33” edge of rectangle).
- Cut two 8” lengths from bias tap and fold in half lengthwise. Sew strips lengthwise to front of apron, 5” from bottom and 8” from sides for flower stems. (Note: Sew around tape close
- Print and cut out patterns. Cut two pocket shapes from medium weight burnt orange and two from lightweight burnt orange fabrics. Cut two 1-3/4”x8” strips from print fabric. Turn long raw edges of print strip over 3/8” to wrong side. Pin strips across center top of medium weight pot shapes (inside dotted lines indicated on pattern) and sew close to turned edges. Sew lightweight pockets to medium weight pockets, leaving a 3” opening along bottom
edges for turning. Trim outside corners of seam allowance and clip inside corners. Turn pockets right side out. Hand sew opening closed.
- Pin pockets to apron on top of stems with 3” of stem showing above center of pocket, and sew 1/8” from side and bottom edges.
- For one leaf, cut two scrap pieces from green fabric slightly larger than leaf pattern and stack together. Draw leaf shape on top of fabric. Sew around drawn leaf shape, going through stacked fabric, using tiny stitches. Trim fabric around leaf 1/8” from stitching. Cut slit in fabric, on one side of leaf, following pattern. Turn leaf right side out (side with slit is back of leaf). Repeat to make three more leaves, making sure leaves face in mirror image before cutting slit in back. Sew pointed end of leaves to top sides of bias tape stems on apron. (Note: Sew around bottom side of leaf approximately 3/8” from edges so leaf does not lie flat on apron. Raw edges on bottom of leaf side should be encased in stitching.)
- Follow Step 5 to make two top petals, four middle petals and four bottom petals, making sure side and bottom petals face in mirror image before cutting slit in back. Pinch pointed end of each petal. Sew through pinched ends of petals to join them in the following order: bottom petal left side; middle petal left side; top petal; middle petal right side; bottom petal right side. Pull thread tight after each stitch. Sew petals to apron in same way as leaves with pinched ends at top of stem. Sew lavender buttons to pinched ends of petals.
- For waistband, cut 4”x19” strip from print fabric. Fold strip in half lengthwise with right side facing in. Sew 3/8” from edges of short sides. Trim seam at corners. Turn right side out.
- Sew a basting stitch across top of apron. Pull stitches to gather. Sew top of apron to raw edge on one side of waistband, 3/8” from edges, adjusting
gathers evenly. Turn remaining long edge of waistband under 3/8” and whip stitch to apron, encasing raw edges.
- Cut two 54” lengths from bias tape. Fold tape pieces in half widthwise, making them 27” long. Turn short raw ends toward inside. Sew 1/8” from turned edges to encase raw edges of tape. Sew neutral buttons to folded ends of tape at sides of waistband to
- 1. Sew all seams 3/8” from edges with right sides together, pinning and pressing as needed.