Dresden Tea Towels
- Canvas fabric, 1 yd.
- Cotton print fabric, scraps: bright orange, blue, purple, brown, typed book page
- Kreinik (001) Silver #16 Medium Braid
- Jeweled flower center
- Rotary cutter and self-healing mat
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Adhesives: Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, fusible webbing
iron and pressing surface, ruler or measuring tape, scissors, sewing needle, straight pins
- Use rotary cutter and mat to cut canvas to 24”x15”. With iron on steam setting, iron 1/2” seam on all four sides. Turn seam under 1/2” again; press. Pin as needed. Machine-sew seams.
- Print out full-size patterns. Cut patterns from cardstock.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse webbing to fabric scraps. Transfer patterns to paper side of fused fabrics. For trapezoid-shaped Dresden, cut eight shapes from fused fabrics. For pentagon-shaped Dresden, cut 15 shapes from fused fabrics and 2-1/2”-diameter circle from typed book print fabric.
- Peel off paper backing; fuse shapes in place on center of folded towel using photo as guide. Slightly overlap edges of shapes if needed.
- Machine-sew along edges of shapes using straight stitch. Freeform sew around fused circle. Knot and clip thread ends.
- Cut 8” or 16” length of metallic braid; attach braid along edges of trapezoid-shaped Dresden and around center circle on pentagon-shaped Dresden using couching stitch.
- Tear 1-1/2”x15” yellow fabric strip. Remove excess threads from edges. Roll fabric strip into rosette shape, securing every 1” with fabric glue. Let dry. Adhere rosette on center of Dresden. Attach flower center on center of rosette using fabric glue. Let dry.