Springtime Appliqué Tote
- Unbleached canvas cloth, 27-1/2”x15-3/4”
- Beige cotton fabric, 7”x15-3/4”
- Lining fabric, 27-1/2”x15-3/4”
- Cotton appliqué fabric, scraps: turquoise, green plaid, green polka dot, raspberry, yellow
- Linen fabric (handles), 2”x16-1/2”, two
- Brother International ScanNCut Machine and Applique Pattern Collection (USB)
- Brother International Iron-On Fabric Appliqué Contact Sheet
- Sewing machine and thread
scissors, measuring tape, iron and pressing surface, fabric marking pen
- Cut canvas fabric, beige cotton fabric (bottom of bag), lining fabric, and handles as specified in materials.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse Iron-On Fabric Appliqué Contact Sheet to back of each cotton fabric appliqué piece.
- Insert USB flash drive into machine; select pattern (AE_A003). Attach fabric piece D to the Standard Mat and scan. Lay out pattern shapes to match pattern of scanned fabric. Function: Background Scan. Cut pattern pieces. In same way, cut fabric pieces E and F. Select pattern AE_A008 for fabric piece G and pattern AE_A007 for fabric piece H; cut out. See Photo 1.
- On canvas fabric, draw line 3” above bottom center. Position appliqué pieces on fabric using photo as guide; iron to fuse pieces to fabric. See Photo 2.
- Sew around edges of appliqué designs. Machine-sew stitches to watering can’s sprinkled water and bird’s legs, wings, and beak. Work slowly when sewing intricate curves. See Photo 3.
- Fold over 1/3” seam allowance of long edge of beige bottom fabric. Line up center of beige fabric with bottom center of canvas fabric; machine-sew together using edge-stitched seam.
- Position handle pieces along top edge on canvas fabric; pin each piece in place. Machine-sew loosely to hold temporarily in place. See Photo 4.
- Line up canvas and lining fabric with wrong sides facing. Machine-sew together to form back mouth (or edge where handles are attached).
- Open inside seam. Line up and refold mouth of bag. Machine-sew two sides together. On lining fabric side, leave 4” opening for turning.
- Open inside seam. Line up cut-ins at beige bottom area; machine-sew gussets. Machine-sew gussets for inner fabric in same way. Turn right side out through opening. Machine-sew opening closed. See Photo 5.
- Place lining fabric inside bag; machine-sew together with bag mouth using edge-stitched seam. Machine-sew bag 1/2” below edge of mouth. Fold handle’s center (or area gripped) in half across width; machine-sew ends of handles using straight stitch to secure. Knot and clip thread ends.