Herb Flowerpot & Herbal Honey Jar
- FOR BOTH:
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Antique Gold; Avocado; Rockwood Red
- Metal Primer (DecoArt)
- White Taklon paintbrushes (Royal &
Langnickel): Wash/Glaze, Series 709, 3/4”; Chisel/Blender, Series 159S, #6
- Cotton fabrics: antique gold; dk. green; coordinating stripe
- Dk. green felt scrap
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC): Dk. Avocado Green (#935); Med. Topaz (#783)
- Recycled jar, 7” tall
- Assorted coordinating buttons
- Natural hemp, 14” length
- Chipboard or heavy cardstock scraps
- Black pebble seed bead
- Clay pot and saucer, 8” tall
- Natural jute, 2 yds.
- White pebble seed bead
- FOR BOTH:
- Heat ‘n Bond Lite (Therm O Web)
- Fabric glue
- Embroidery needle
- Iron and pressing board
- Hook-and-loop tape, 1”x1”
- Print and cut out patterns.
- 1. Remove labels from jar. Wash and dry
jar. Follow manufacturer’s instruction to paint lid Rockwood Red. When dry, use
blender to dry brush Antique Gold.
- 2. Cut 4” square from gold fabric. Follow
manufacturer’s instructions to adhere
iron-on adhesive to wrong side of appliqué fabrics. From fused fabric, cut: 3-1/2” green square; 1-1/4”x2-1/2” gold rectangle; gold bird head; striped beak; two 1/2”x2” striped strips.
- 3. Transfer lettering to gold rectangle. Use green embroidery floss to backstitch “herbal honey” to rectangle.
Remove backing from fused shapes and
adhere to green fabric square as shown.
For eye, sew pebble bead to face. Adhere
green fabric to center of gold fabric.
- 4. Cut leaf from green felt. Use gold
thread to sew running stitch down leaf
center. Glue leaf to green felt and fabric motif to front of jar.
- 5. Thread buttons onto hemp, alternating colors and sizes; tie around jar. Replace lid.
- 1. Paint pot Antique Gold, rim Avocado, and saucer Rockwood Red. Dry brush rim and saucer Antique Gold. Apply varnish.
- 2. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to adhere iron-on adhesive to wrong side of appliqué fabrics. From fused fabric, cut: 4” green, 3-1/2” gold and 3” striped squares; 1”x2-1/2” rectangle;
dk. green bird body; striped wing and
- 3. Transfer lettering to green fabric
rectangle. Use gold embroidery floss to
backstitch “parsley” to rectangle. Remove backing from fused shapes and adhere to gold fabric square as shown. For eye, sew pebble bead to bird. Adhere gold fabric to center of green fabric.
- 4. Cut leaf from green felt. Use gold thread to sew running stitch down leaf center. Glue leaf to green felt and fabric motif to front of jar.
- 5. Tie jute around flowerpot. Use hook-and-loop tape to adhere fabric motif to front of pot, over jute.