Chic Sweater Purse
- Recycled wool turtleneck sweater
- Variegated wool fiber: pink; green
- Polka-dot fat quarter fabric
- Hotfix Crystals (Kandi Corp.)
- Snap, 1”
- Cardboard, 9”x12”
- Hotfix Applicator (Kandi Corp.)
- Needle Felt Pen Tool and Pad (Clover)
- Embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Tapestry Needles*: #18; #22; #26
- Felt wool sweater by washing in hot water and drying. Lay flat. Following sweater cutting diagram, cut: two 3”x23” straps from sleeves on fold; 6-1/2” square flap and 2” square pocket from turtleneck; two 11”x15” rectangles (front and back) from sweater bottom. For lining, cut 12”x14” rectangle from polka dot fabric.
- Open strap pieces and sew short ends together. Fold strap right sides together, lengthwise. Sew seam, leaving ends open. Turn. Center flap piece along top edge of one purse piece for back of purse. Overlap pieces 1/2”. Sew in place. Right sides together. Sew front and back of purse together. Finish seams. Turn.
- Using photo as guide, place foam pad under sections as you needle felt. Pull strands of wool to needle felt along full length of strap. Needle felt front of purse. Design is approximately 12” in length with six 1” roses. Create roses with 2” long strands coiled and needle felted.
- For large rose, needle felt on pad four 1-1/2”x1-1/4” petals and three 5/8”x1” petals. Needle felt two 1” long leaves. Assemble flower by layering smaller petals on top of large petals. Needle felt centers together. Needle felt to purse. Needle felt leaves in place under edges of flower.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to adhere crystals to purse.
- Place fabric flat, wrong side up, and center cardboard piece on fabric. Pull fabric edges up over cardboard and glue. Turn cardboard over and glue pocket piece to center bottom of cardboard on three sides leaving top of pocket open. Insert cardboard piece inside purse and glue in place.
- Sew snap halves to front flap and top of purse. Sew ends of strap to inside top of each side of purse.
Chic Sweater Purse