Glitz & Glamour Mirror
- Locker mirror, 4”x5”
- White Foam Board (Elmer’s), 1/2” thick, 20”x30”
- Color Tool Spray Paint (Design Master): Brilliant Silver; Glitter Silver
- X-ACTO Designer Series (Elmer’s): Retractable #1 Knife; Self-Healing Cutting Mat, 12”x12”; Metal Ruler
- Markers: purple; blue
- Large paper clip
- CraftBond Paper Craft Glue Gel (Elmer’s)
- Use X-Acto knife and metal ruler on self-healing cutting mat to cut 10”x10” piece from Foam Board. (Hint: Score lightly first and then press more firmly to cut deeper, with several passes of the knife. Replace blades often.) Use pencil and ruler to measure and mark 3” in on all sides to create a 4”x4” centered square. Similarly, cut inside opening.
- Use pencil on scratch paper to sketch pattern. Draw 10” square with 4” centered square to represent frame. To draw checkerboard lines, think of how a fishing net would look hanging from a hook. Start in upper left corner of scratch paper and draw gently curving line down to opposite corner (going right through center square, ignoring it for now.) Still working from top left corner draw gently curving lines on both sides of first line, allowing lines to change shape a bit, but not crossing over the first line. (Note, lines will be, at most, 1” apart and will not join at bottom.) Repeat with lines on outside of those lines and you should be close to left edge of paper. The upper right area will still not have lines. So along top, about 1” to right of last line, draw another gently curved line, going down toward bottom. Repeat every inch or so, going to the right. To make lines that cross these, do the same thing, starting at bottom left, going up.
- Use pencil to shade in every other “curved square” area to determine checkerboard pattern. (For now, don’t consider purple and blue, just shade alternate squares.) If anything is off, adjust line so that checkerboard works out. Refer to photo to use markers to mark darkened squares on pattern with blue or purple, noticing that each curvy strip alternates with one color.
- Lightly redraw pencil lines on Foam Board, copying pattern lines, but do not shade in or mark squares. Go over all pencil lines using X-Acto knife, pressing down about half way. Do not cut all the way through Foam Board.
- Refer to pattern and use pencil to make x on Foam Board in each shaded square on pattern. Use point of X-Acto knife to remove top paper layer of squares on Foam Board. Gently scrape blade inside square areas to remove small pieces of foam, only going about 1/8” down. Brush away any Foam Board crumbs.
- In a well ventilated area, spray frame’s front and edges with two coats of Brilliant Silver. Let dry. Into recessed squares of frame, apply paper craft glue gel into one “blue” square and sprinkle blue glitter. Repeat with rest of blue squares. Turn over frame onto scratch paper to remove excess glitter (returning loose glitter to container). Similarly apply purple glitter. Remove any glitter from silver surface. Spray Glitter Silver over entire frame to seal glitter. Let dry.
- Attach locker mirror to back using masking tape. For hanger, on back measure 3” down from top center. Use retractable knife to make 1/4”-long horizontal slit. Slightly separate curved ends of paper clip 1/4”. Insert shorter rounded end up into slit, creating hanger loop with longer end of paper clip. (Glue if loose.)
Glitz & Glamour Mirror