Beaded Yo-Yo Flower Frame
- Finish It wooden frame with 4”x6”
opening (Walnut Hollow)
- Assorted decorator and special occasion fabric scraps, six
- Seed beads: white; silver
- Cream pearl beads, 4mm
- Green ribbon: French wired, 7/8”; velvet, 3/8”
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecorArt): Fawn; Bleached Sand; Celery Green
- Weathered Wood Crackling Medium
- Silver wire, 26-gauge
- Thread: sewing; beading
- Needles: sewing; beading
- Crochet hook, size 6 or G
- Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue (API)
- Lightly sand frame. Paint frame Fawn;
let dry. Apply one coat of Crackling
Medium to frame; let dry. Apply one
coat of Bleached Sand over medium.
Cracks will appear as paint dries. Dry
brush frame edges Celery Green.
- Glue velvet ribbon symmetrically
around frame opening, cutting ends at corners.
- Measure ribbon on one side of frame. String beads on wire roll (approximately five beads per 1” of
ribbon). Crochet chain with wire and
hook, bringing up a bead from wire
roll between each chain. When chain is
long enough to cover ribbon length on
frame, cut wire and bend into loop to
prevent last bead from falling off. Place beaded wire over ribbon on frame.
Glue ends of wire to ribbon corners.
Repeat for each side of frame.
- For yo-yo flowers, cut three 2” circles, two 2-1/2” circles and one 3” circle. Fold edges of circles over 1/8” to wrong side. Sew tiny basting stitch close to turned edges. Pull stitches tightly to gather and knot thread.
- Back stitch silver seed beads around edges of yo-yos. Sew white seed beads to fill in center of yo-yo flowers.
- For ribbon leaves, cut three 2-1/2”
lengths, three 3” lengths, and one 3-1/2” length from French ribbon. Fold ribbon at center with ends even at sides. Sew tiny running stitch close to raw edges, pull stitches to gather and knot. (Note: Using Fig. 1 as guide, fold leaves so light edge is in center of some and dark edge is in center of others for a dimensional shaded look.)
- Use photo as guide to arrange flowers and leaves around frame opening. Glue leaves to backs of yo-yo flowers, and flowers to frame. Shape leaves as desired.