"Life is a Journey" Décor
- Wooden frame with 3-1/2" opening, 8" square
- Wooden or chipboard circle, 3"
- Natural muslin (unbleached), 1 yd.
- Olive green fabric, 1/4 yd.
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Lamp Black; Traditional Raw Sienna; Buttermilk; Antique Green
- WoolFelt scraps (National Nonwovens): Black; Cream
- Natural Elegance Pillow Form (Fairfield Processing), 6"x12"
- Silver Metallics Thread (Kreinik), 50m
- Black 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC)
- Scallop-edge scissors
- BigShot Die Cutting Machine (Sizzix)
- Dies (Sizzix): Flower Layers #5; Vine with Leaves; Serif Essentials
- Rubber stamps in life and encouragement expressions of choice
- StazOn Solvent Ink Pad (Tsukineko): Jet Black
- Lite Steam-a-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Embroidery needle
- Sanding block
- Wax candle
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Aleene's Original Tacky Glue (iLoveToCreate)
- Die cut leaves (from Vine with Leaves die) and one flower layer set from chipboard.
- Paint frame, chipboard or wooden circle, and flower shapes Lamp Black. When dry, randomly rub wax candle on surfaces. Paint frame and flower shapes Traditional Burnt Sienna, and circle Buttermilk. When dry, lightly sand surface to reveal distressed finish. Paint chipboard vines Antique Green.
- Use ink to stamp words and expressions randomly on frame surface. Stamp desired expression in center of circle. Glue vine with leaves to frame. Layer flower shapes and glue to frame on top of leaves. Glue circle (flower center) to tops of flowers.
- For pillow, cut two 7"x13" rectangles from muslin for pillow front and back. Cut 6"x9" from green fabric. Press and pin seams as needed for pillow front and back.
- Use ink to stamp one muslin rectangle with random words and expressions. Use iron to heat set ink.
- Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse webbing to Black and Cream felt. Die cut two vine leaves from fused Black felt, paper side facing up. Repeat for "LIVE" from fused Cream felt. Fuse green fabric rectangle to webbing. Trim edges of rectangle with scallop-edge scissors.
- Use photo as guide to fuse pieces in place on stamped pillow piece.
- Use three strands of black floss to backstitch edges of green rectangle. Use two strands of metallic thread to backstitch center of letters and leaves to pillow.
- With right sides facing and using a 1/2" seam allowance, machine sew pillow front to back, leaving bottom open for turning. Turn pillow right side out and insert pillow form. Whipstitch opening closed.
"Life is a Journey" Décor