Baby Shadowbox Collage
- Shadowbox, 8”x10”
- White cardstock
- Print papers: peach, pink, grey
- STAEDTLER FIMO White Air Modeling Clay
- Butterfly paper shape, in design of choice
- Photo of newborn
- Mini heart cookie or clay cutter
- STAEDTLER FIMO Roller
- Sewing machine and gold thread
- STAEDTLER Triplus Fineliner Pens, Karat Aquarell Watercolor Pencils
- Acrylic paint: light yellow, gold, peach, pink, white
- Adhesives: tacky glue, foam tape
paintbrush, parchment paper and newspaper (to cover work surface), ruler
- Measure and cut cardstock to same size as shadowbox. Tear sheets of patterned paper in small strips slightly smaller than cardstock. Position paper strips on cardstock for desired look. From print paper, outline shapes or drawing using pen. Use coloring pencils to color in designs if desired. (Note: Designer outlined flower shape and used colored pencils to add color to image.) Adhere all paper strips to cardstock using tacky glue. See Photo 1 and Photo 2.
- On parchment-lined work surface, roll White clay to 1/8” thickness using roller. Use heart cutter to cut nine hearts from clay. Let air dry. See Photo 3.
- Cover work surface with newspaper. Paint hearts in varying colors of paint from light to dark using photo as guide. Mix white paint with bolder colors to achieve softer, pastel colors. Let dry. Adhere hearts to center of cardstock collage using tacky glue. See Photo 4 and Photo 5.
- For butterfly, use coloring pencils to add peach and orange color to paper shape. Adhere butterfly to cardstock collage using foam tape. See Photo 6.
- Adhere additional paper layers if desired. Adhere photo to cardstock collage using foam tape.
- Machine-sew around edges of collage using gold thread. Knot and clip thread ends.
- Adhere collage into shadowbox using tacky glue or insert between glass pieces.
- 1. When tearing print papers, tear paper with pattern facing away from you for torn edge effect. Also, stamp butterfly shape on cardstock and color using colored pencils if purchased shape is not available.