- STAEDTLER FIMO Soft Oven Bake Clay, in colors of choice
- Metal paper clips
- Aluminum foil
- Acrylic roller
- Shape cutters: stars, hearts
- Metallic paint or mica powder, gold or silver
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
ruler, drinking glass, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- Create tightly-packed ball out of aluminum foil (slightly larger than final size). Wrap 1/16” sheet of clay around it. Smooth over any unevenness with acrylic roller (or use side of straight drinking glass). Add second layer of clay to cover entire ball. See Photo 1. (Note: For ornaments, insert end of metal paper clip into aluminum foil ball and wrap clay around edges, so metal end sticks out for hanger.)
- Roll same color clay to 1/16” thickness. Use shape cutters to cut stars and hearts from clay. See Photo 2. Press shapes onto side of clay ball.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to bake clay ball in oven at 230˚ F for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- On covered work surface, paint shapes gold. Let dry. See Photo 3.
- To make swirl, roll 1/8”-diameter logs of clay; coil closely together on clay ball. Fill in gaps with small pieces of clay log. See Photo 4. Repeat process to bake in oven. Let cool.
- Display as centerpiece or hang from tree.
- 1. Use the bits of clay leftover from other projects for quick-and-easy décor accents or gifts.