Plastic Bag Snowman Art
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Sheet, 1”x8”x12”
- Recycled plastic shopping bags: white, green
- Orange pom-pom, 1/2”
- Black paper, scrap
- Large-head straight pins, two
- Natural twigs, two
- Snowflake sequins, four
- Blue acrylic paint
- Hole punch, 1/4”
- Thick white craft glue
paintbrush, wooden skewer, scissors, newspaper (to cover work surface), black marker, ruler
- On covered work surface, paint front and sides of foam sheet blue. Let dry.
- Cut white plastic bags into 2” squares. (Note: Avoid printed areas on bags and don’t worry if squares aren’t perfect. Ragged points will be trimmed off at end.)
- Use marker to freehand draw outline of snowman with scarf on painted foam sheet.
- Attach plastic squares to foam sheet using blunt end of wooden skewer. Apply small dot of tacky glue on foam sheet; center plastic square over dot of glue and push blunt end of skewer straight down into foam sheet. Twist skewer and pull it out, leaving plastic square behind. Attach white plastic squares along marker line first in order to get smooth outline of snowman. Proceed to fill in snowman, pushing in white square every 1/2” or so. Let dry. Fill in bottom area with white plastic squares for ground snow. Let dry.
- Follow same process to fill in scarf using green plastic squares around neck. Let dry. Cut 1-1/2”x6” strip from green plastic bag; snip ends to create fringe. Apply small dot of tacky glue on foam sheet on right end of scarf; center plastic rectangle over dot of glue and push blunt end of skewer straight down into foam sheet. Pull skewer out, leaving plastic rectangle scarf behind. Let dry.
- Fill in any empty spots with white or green plastic squares. Use scissors to trim any points that are jagged or too long.
- For eyes, punch two black paper circles using hole punch. Adhere eyes to top of large-head straight pins. Stick pins in snowman’s face.
- Adhere orange pom-pom on face for nose. Let dry.
- Insert two small twigs on sides of body for arms. Spot glue to secure.
- Adhere snowflake sequins on background. Let dry.
- Attach hanger of choice on back of foam sheet.
- 1. Smoothing and folding the plastic bag into a 2” strip will allow you to cut more than one square at a time.