Faux Christmas Ornaments
- Celebrate It Mini Cupcake Baking Cups
- FloraCraft Foam Ball, 1-1/2”
- All-purpose caulking
- White cardstock
- Red ribbon
- Assorted beads, four (for hangers)
- Rhinestones: clear, two; red, 12
- Beadalon Products: large topaz bead; silver beads, 18; headpins; wire, 24- and 18-gauge
- Testors Enamel Paint Markers (available at Testors.com or Amazon.com): Blue (2508), Green (2524), Red (2503), Yellow (2514)
- Wilton: Disposable Decorating Bags; Decorating Tips, #48, #70
- Wire cutters
- Flat nose pliers, two
- Glitter: silver, clear
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue
scissors, spool of thread, craft knife, toothpick, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. All “frosting” on cupcakes is created by filling decorating bag with caulking and squeezing it out with different style tips. Follow manufacturer’s directions on decorating bag package. Decorating bags and tips used for these projects should not be reused for food.
- 1. Cut small section off bottom of foam ball to create flat surface.
- 2. Apply caulking to flat bottom and set into baking cup.
- 3. Set baking cup into funnel.
- 4. Squeeze bead of caulking into space between cup and foam ball. (Note: This will adhere foam to foil and help it keep its shape once set.)
- 1. Cut 5” length from 18-gauge wire; wrap around any tubular object, such as Testors enamel markers or jewelry ring maker, two or three times.
- 2. Lay another larger round object, such as a spool of thread, on excess wire and smooth wire around object to create “s” shape. Slip wire off both objects and trim. Dip wire end in glue, then attach bead.
- 3. Each hanger is connected to a SIMPLE LOOP WIRE. To create one, cut 2-1/2” length from 24-gauge wire and wrap into spiral on one end (See Wire Hangers - Step 1). Dip straight wire end into glue and insert into center of cupcake.
- 1. Cut 18” length of 18-gauge wire; fold in half.
- 2. Using pliers, grab wire at 1/3 of wire length. Grab folded end with another set of pliers and twist until wires are wrapped around each other.
- 3. Form the two untwisted wires into “y” shape.
- 4. Roughly shape into curves with your hands. Twist ends together at top as shown.
- 5. Push the two twisted ends together, forming two loops for wings. Slide on topaz bead.
- 6. Form wings by pinching along wire several times with flat-nose pliers.
- 7. Slip silver bead over remaining wires above topaz bead.
- 8. Bend top wires into 45-degree angle.
- 9. Wrap and smooth remaining wire around marker or other round object to create double, open halo above topaz bead.
- 10. Stick long twisted stem at bottom of angel into glue and then into center of cupcake. Insert simple loop wire (from Wire Hangers - Step 3) in cupcake behind stem.
- 11. Using #70 decorating tip, form base of angel by applying adhesive caulking and working from center of cupcake out to edges, overlapping strokes.
- 12. When caulking is dry, paint with yellow marker.
- 1. Print and use template to cut two identical snowflakes with craft knife from cardstock. Place one flake on covered work surface and dot glue on center and points. Lay 3” simple loop wire on snowflake as shown. Place second snowflake on top of wire, aligning snowflakes. Let dry.
- 2. Apply thin coat of glue to both sides of snowflake and sprinkle on clear glitter. Adhere rhinestone in center on each side.
- 3. For frosting, use swirling pattern to apply caulking with #48 decorating tip positioned on its side. (Note: This will make frosting swirls stand on end.)
- 4. When dry, paint frosting with blue marker. While paint is still wet, sprinkle on silver glitter. Stick snowflake simple loop wire into glue and then into center of cupcake.
- 1. Use #70 decorating tip to apply two rippled lines of caulking around border of cupcake. (Note: The slower you move the tip, the more it will ripple the caulking.)
- 2. Using toothpick, jab repeatedly at caulking. As toothpick is pulled out, peeks are formed that look like wreath needles.
- 3. When set, paint wreath with green marker.
- 4. Dab glue on back of red rhinestones and attach to wreath in groups of three.
- 5. Attach simple loop wire to center of cupcake. Tie bow on wire with red ribbon.
Gift Package Cupcake
- 1. Cover cupcake with caulking using #70 decorating tip.
- 2. Once set, apply caulking to add ribbon and bow with #48 tip.
- 3. Paint ribbon with red marker.
- 4. Push headpin into each silver bead and insert into cupcake as shown. Add simple loop wire to center and surround with beads.