Holiday Cheer Hanger
- Peg Board with Insert (Viking
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Burnt Umber; Bittersweet Chocolate; Khaki Tan; Buttermilk; Berry Red; Cranberry Wine; Forest Green; Hauser Light Green; Holly Green; Sapphire;
True Blue; Bright Orange; Canyon
Orange; Burnt Orange
- Americana Water Based Stain
(DecoArt): Dark Walnut
- Americana DuraClear Matte Varnish
- Paintbrushes (Royal Brush): Majestic: Angle, Series 4160, 1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”; Filbert, Series 4595, #0; Filbert, Series 4250, #4, #6; Aqualon: Filbert, Series 2150, #2, #4, #6, #10; Filbert (varnish), Series 2700, #1
- Stiff toothbrush for speckling
- Extra brush with wooden handle for
- Disposable gloves.
- Cotton sock or cloth for antiquing
- Craft glue
- Wearing disposable glove, wrap cloth or sock around two index fingers and apply stain to frame and pegs to desired shade. Set aside.
- Basecoat insert Khaki Tan. Let dry, then gently sand in direction of wood grain. Wipe dust. Basecoat again. Let dry.
- To antique background, wrap damp cloth
around two index fingers and dab into
Burnt Umber paint. Work paint into
material on palette. Wipe down entire
surface, then pick up more paint to
darken edges. Let dry.
- Print and cut out pattern. Transfer
pattern to insert.
- 1. Wash with Burnt Umber. Fill in windows with Bright Orange. Shade left sides of each window Canyon Orange. Repeat to deepen color. Line details with Burnt Orange to simulate orange slices. Shade along all lines and details on gingerbread with several layers of Burnt Umber. Repeat for all cookie tiles on rooftops. Thin Burnt Umber with equal parts water and apply stones to sides of house randomly. Paint candy cane stick on house Buttermilk. Add Berry Red strips when dry. Load liner with Buttermilk and apply icing to each cookie tile. Load #2 round with Buttermilk and blob on icing along roof lines, rooftops, chimney window frames, etc. Let icing dry before proceeding.
Large Candy Cane
- 1. Paint Buttermilk. Add Berry Red stripes.
Paint two holly leaves Forest Green.
Shade bottom edge of candy cane and holly leaves Burnt Umber. Add Bittersweet Chocolate midriffs to each
holly leaf. Using wooden end of spare
brush, dip into Berry Red paint and
add three berries under leaves.
- 1. Paint coat and hat Berry Red. Repeat to deepen color when dry. Paint boots Bittersweet Chocolate. Paint stockings and details on boots Forest Green. Add Burnt Umber strips to hat, sleeves and coat. When dry, shade edges of all red areas with Cranberry Wine. When dry, repeat shading with Burnt Umber. Lightly outline sleeves and hat Bittersweet Chocolate. Add three buttons to Santa’s suit with same color using wooden end of spare brush. Load #5 round heavily with Buttermilk and blob on fur trim on hat and coat. Beginning at curled ends of mustache and beard, fill in both areas with Buttermilk as well. Dot eyes and nose Bittersweet Chocolate.
Glass Ball & Ornaments & Presents
- 1. Paint ornament #1 and present A with Sapphire. Shade sides and bottom edges with True Blue. Paint ornament #2 and present B with Berry Red. Shade sides and bottom edges Cranberry Wine. Basecoat Ornament #3 Hauser Light Green and present A Forest Green. Shade both Holly Green. When shading is dry, repeat shading with Burnt Umber. Antique greens a little with a Burnt Umber wash to mute color. Add Bittersweet Chocolate wire hooks to each ornament. Present A has a Berry Red ribbon, presents B and C have a Forest Green ribbon. The glass ball ornament that fell onto the ground behind the elf is based Berry Red. Apply same techniques to it as ornament #2. Highlight each ornament with small comma strokes of Buttermilk.
- 1. Paint coat and hat Hauser Light Green. Shade sides and bottom edges of coat, hat and sleeve Holly Green. Antique with a wash of Burnt Umber. When wash is dry, shade edges with Burnt Umber to define contours. Add Bittersweet Chocolate stripes to hat and sleeve. Fill in face, ears and hand with Khaki Tan. Wash with Burnt Umber to lightly antique. Fill in hair with Burnt Umber. Dot eyes and nose Bittersweet Chocolate. Add Berry Red trim to bottom cuff of dress. Fill in stockings with Sapphire. Antique both with wash of Burnt Umber. Boots are Bittersweet Chocolate.
Trees & Distant Houses
- 1. Basecoat all trees Forest Green. Shade left sides and bottom edges with Burnt Umber. Add Bittersweet Chocolate strips to each as indicated on pattern. Trunks are also Bittersweet Chocolate. Shade house on left with Burnt Umber. Fill in windows with same color. Outline each with Bittersweet Chocolate. Blob on Buttermilk snow on rooftops, with a hint of smoke coming out from tops.
To Finish Gingerbread House
- 1. Fill in present #1 with Berry Red and add a Forest Green ribbon. Fill in present #2 with Hauser Light Green and shade Holly Green. Add a Berry Red bow and ribbon. Shade both pieces with Burnt Umber. Fill in all holly leaves with Forest Green. Shade bottom edges with Burnt Umber and line midriffs with Bittersweet Chocolate. Using larger end of stylus dipped into Berry Red, add holly berries to each leaf cluster. Personalize sign that hangs from top front window if desired. (Note: Designer used liner and thinned Bittersweet Chocolate to paint “Gingersnap” on sign.) Add Berry Red candies to house and detail each
with a Buttermilk swirl. Add more candies if desired.
- 2. Shade all edges of gingerbread house, and around each object with several layers of Burnt Umber. Deepen shading
under icing along roof line on left sides especially. Shade around each window, along horizon and every object.
- 1. Use 1/2” angle brush in sweeping motion to add Buttermilk snow-covered hills, using pattern as a guideline. Repeat to deepen color. Add small blobs of buttermilk under Santa’s feet, around houses, under a tree or two and under elf’s foot. Use wooden end of brush to add Buttermilk dots of three randomly over snow for snowballs. Add snowballs on house as well. Slightly dampen toothbrush and dip bristles into Buttermilk paint. Speckle insert heavily. Let dry.
- 1. Apply varnish. Place insert inside frame.