QC: Vintage Millinery Brooch
- Floral picks (vintage or new)
- Millinery flowers with wire
- Assorted feathers
- Silk fabric
- 1/4 yd. of 3/8”-wide velvet ribbon
- 22-gauge craft wire
- Small block of STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow)
- Floral foam
- Velvet ribbon
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Wire cutters
- Boutonnieres are not just for weddings
and proms anymore! Affix this pretty
bauble to the lapel of your favorite winter coat and make every day a special
occasion. This accent also makes a lovely addition to a plain gift box.
- To get this look, you’ll need floral picks (vintage or new), millinery flowers with wire stems, assorted feathers and silk fabric, 1/4 yard of 3/8”-wide velvet ribbon, hot glue gun and glue sticks, 22-gauge craft wire
and a small block of STYROFOAM Brand Foam (Dow) or floral foam.
- First, choose the elements of your
boutonniere and add interest by mixing
floral picks with foliage pieces, and
beaded or glittery picks. If vintage millinery flowers and picks are not available, use silk flowers available from the craft store. If using silk flowers, use wire cutters to cut off floral sprigs about 3” from stem.
Arrange the pieces in a pretty bouquet
and poke stems into the foam.
- Cut a 5” length from craft wire. With the bouquet still secure in foam, tightly wrap the stems together, adding elements like feathers, if desired. Lift bouquet from foam and finish wrapping with wire. Apply small dab of hot glue at bottom of bouquet and adhere one end of velvet ribbon with
soft nap facing up. Wrap ribbon around
bouquet stems, covering first edge of
ribbon and continuing to cover stems in
an overlapping pattern. Add small dabs
of hot glue on back of ribbon as it is
wrapped. At the top of the bouquet, right under the floral elements, but in back where it won’t show, snip any excess velvet ribbon and fold under. Secure end with another dab of hot glue.
- Affix the boutonniere to the lapel or your favorite blouse, or on a pretty present or holiday card to add a little something special.
Vintage Millinery Brooch