Festive Bird Flowerpots
- Clay pots, 8” tall, two
- Americana Acrylic Paints (DecoArt): Light Buttermilk; Tomato Red; Avocado
- Muslin, 5” squares: natural; tea-stained
- Burlap, 5” squares, two
- Red/green prints and/or solid fabric scraps
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC):
Ecru; Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938)
- Natural jute, 30” length
- Rubber stamps: Merry Christmas;
- Black pigment ink pad
- Duraclear Varnish (DecoArt)
- Embroidery needle
- Lite Steam-A-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive (Beacon Adhesives)
- Iron and pressing board
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to fuse muslin and fabric to fusible
webbing with iron. Print and cut out patterns. Transfer patterns to fused fabric; cut out. Cut two 3-1/2” squares from muslin and fuse to burlap squares. Fuse fabric patterns to front of muslin squares as shown. Pull burlap edges to lightly fringe.
- Use three strands of Ecru floss to blanket stitch edges of all fabric
patterns and muslin squares on tea
stained muslin. Use a backstitch to link
together leaves and create small scrolls
as shown. For natural muslin, use
Ultra Dark Coffee Brown floss. Stamp
sentiments on muslin as shown. Use
iron to heat set ink. Cut 15” length from hemp and dew center of length to back of burlap.
- Paint one pot Tomato Red and lid Avocado. Paint remaining pot Light Buttermilk and lid Tomato Red. Dry brush lids Light Buttermilk. Apply
- Apply glue to back of burlap squares. Place pots on sides. Wrap jute around pot and tie knot. Let dry.
- 1. Use flowerpots as gift baskets instead.