Door Banner Series: Hanukkah
- Roc-Lon Fabric, 12-1/2”x21-1/2”
- Wooden dowel, 5/8” diameter, 14” length
- Wooden dowel caps, 1-1/4”, two
- White cording or rope, 1 yd.
- Sewing machine and white thread
- Alphabet stencil of choice, 1-1/2”
- Loew-Cornell LaCorneille Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Series 7550C Wash 3/4”; Series 7350C Liner 10/0; Series 7330C Curved Flat #12; Series 7300C Shader #6; Series 7000C Round #2, 4; Series 270 Maxine’s Magic Mop 1/2”; Comfort Series 3600 Oval Wash 3/4”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Blue Mist, Burnt Sienna, Espresso, Soft Black, Yellow Ochre, Warm White, Wedgewood Blue; Gold Rush Metallic Lustre; Splendid Gold Dazzling Metallics
- DecoArt: Americana Duraclear Matte Varnish, Starlite Topcoat
scissors, ruler, pencil, painter’s tape, stylus, paper towels, palette, container of water, tracing paper, graphite paper, newspaper (to cover work surface)
- 1. Unless a specific brush is noted in instructions, use best brush available to fit area painting. When floating colors for shading or highlighting, use mop brush to soften floats. The #12 curved flat works well for shading and floating.
- 1. For banner, measure and cut 12-1/2”x21-1/2” fabric rectangle. Position rectangle with wrong side facing up on work surface. Fold back fabric on top and bottom edges 1/2” to center; finger press. Fold top edges again 1-1/2”; finger press. (Note: The top edge will form casing for dowel to run through.) Machine-sew along folded top and bottom edges.
- 2. Print out patterns.
- 3. On covered work surface, basecoat both sides of fabric rectangle with two coats of Warm White. Let dry.
- 4. Measure 9” from top and mark using pencil. Measure another 1” down and mark. Measure 4” down again and mark, leaving about 3-1/2” at bottom. On top 9” section, measure from left side over and mark at 9”, making 9” square at top with 3-1/2”x9” rectangle next to square.
- 5. Basecoat 9” square Wedgewood Blue. While paint is still wet, pick up Yellow Ochre with oval wash and lightly apply in top center of section for candle flames. Apply Yellow Ochre in slip-slap manner, applying paint in center of area and blending into Wedgewood Blue as you work out. Basecoat top right section and bottom section Yellow Ochre. Basecoat center section Blue Mist. Let dry.
- 6. Paint 1” Warm White section in Gold Rush checks using #6 shader. Measure down 1/2” and draw light pencil line to help keep checks straight and uniform. Let dry.
- 7. Use graphite paper to transfer main pattern elements onto each section.
- 8. Basecoat menorah Yellow Ochre, then Splendid Gold, and then Glorious Gold. Basecoat candles Blue Mist and flames Yellow Ochre. Let dry. Shade menorah with sideload of Burnt Sienna, then Espresso, using #12 curved flat. Highlight with sideload of Warm White. Add highlight stroke of Warm White using 10/0 liner. Let dry. Shade candles on right side and on bottom by holder with sideload of Wedgewood Blue; highlight left side of candles with sideload of Warm White. Add Warm White highlight stroke on centers. Shade bottom of flames Burnt Sienna. Add Soft Black wick to each flame using liner.
- 9. Basecoat “Celebrate” with thinned Warm White using #4 round. Apply several coats for opaque coverage. Add thin Wedgewood Blue line to left of each letter. Add thin Splendid Gold line on each letter. See photo for placement.
- 10. Center alphabet stencil on section and stencil “Hanukkah” working from outside edges to center. Lightly trace outlines of letters using pencil. When pleased with placement, stencil letters Wedgewood Blue using #2 round. Remove stencil. Fill in any unpainted areas. Let dry. Add small horizontal lines on upright sections of each letter and vertical lines on cross sections using thinned Splendid Gold and 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 11. Basecoat top and bottom dreidels Blue Mist. Shade Wedgewood Blue and add Warm White highlights to top and front side edges. Basecoat center dreidel Warm White; shade Blue Mist. Transfer details. Paint symbols Splendid Gold using #2 round. Outline dreidels with thinned Wedgewood Blue using 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 12. Add squiggly thinned Wedgewood Blue liners around each section using 10/0 liner. Let dry.
- 13. Paint wooden dowel Warm White and dowel caps Yellow Ochre. Shade dowel caps Splendid Gold. Let dry. Apply Starlite Topcoat on dowel caps. Let dry.
- 14. Apply matte varnish on dowel, dowel caps, and banner. Insert dowel into pocket and attach dowel caps to either end. Attach cording around ends of dowel to hang.
- 1. Mask off sections using painter’s tape when basecoating so colors don’t bleed together.