Quilted Mini Zipper Bag In the Hoop
- 100% cotton fabric, 5”x5”: multi dot (front and back), three; green/white dot (lining)
- The Warm Co. Warm & Natural 100% Cotton Batting, 2-1/2”x5”, two
- Sulky Tear-Easy Lightweight Tearaway Stabilizer
- Grosgrain ribbon, red or coordinating color, 5/8”x2” (optional)
- Polyester or nylon zipper with plastic teeth, 7” (or longer), red or coordinating color
- Coordinating embroidery thread
- Swivel clip, 3/4”
- Embroidery Machine
- Five Star Fonts Embroidery FREE Mini Zipper Bag In the Hoop Design (FREE download at fivestarfonts.com/free-zipper-case-in-the-hoop)
- Needle and thread (optional)
- Adhesives: Therm O Web Heat N Bond Ultrabond, Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
sharp scissors, cellophane tape, iron and pressing surface, bamboo skewer
- Hoop tearaway stabilizer and run color 1, which stitches outline of the design along with center section for zipper placement. Remove hoop from machine when color 1 finishes.
- Place closed zipper RIGHT SIDE UP in center of embroidery hoop using center section as placement guide. (Note: Do not use a zipper with metal teeth. Zipper is cut off during this project so longer zipper can be used.) Zipper will fit perfectly inside placement stitches. IMPORTANT - Be sure zipper tab is at top of hoop and zipper stop is at bottom. Center zipper length in the hoop so zipper tab and zipper stop are both well outside outline of design. Tape zipper at top, center, and bottom as shown with flower pins.
- Place hoop on machine and run color 2, which tacks zipper to stabilizer. Remove hoop when color 2 finishes and remove tape from center of zipper. Be careful when removing tape so zipper tack down stitches are not disturbed.
- Fold two front 5”x5” multi dot fabric pieces in half with WRONG sides together so they measure 2-1/2”x5”. Press to form crease. Lightly spray one side of each 2-1/2”x5” cotton batting piece and place inside each folded fabric piece, butting the edge of batting up to the crease of the fabric. Smooth with fingers to adhere batting to fabric to create fabric/batting sandwiches.
- Place fabric batting sandwiches in the hoop so creased edges are lined up at zipper teeth and centered over design. Tape in place at top and bottom (outside design area); place tape in center as shown by pins.
- Place hoop on machine and run color 3, which stitches the front fabrics to the zipper. Run color 4, which quilts the front with a wave quilting stitch. Remove hoop when color 4 finishes.
- IMPORTANT: Remove any tape at top of hoop, covering zipper. Grasp zipper pull and gently unzip zipper until zipper tab is in center of design as shown.
- If key chain hardware is not being added, skip to Step 9 now. To add optional ribbon loop and swivel clip, slip clip through ribbon; fold ribbon with WRONG sides together. Place raw edges of ribbon at TOP of design, centered over zipper. Raw edges of ribbon should extend 1/2” OUTSIDE top stitch line of design as shown. Tape both ribbon and clip in place so it doesn’t slip. (Note: A split ring or D-ring may be used in place of the slip clip if desired.)
- Still working on front of hoop, place 5”x5” back fabric in the hoop RIGHT SIDE DOWN so it is centered and covers design outline. Place hoop on machine and run color 5 which stitches the back fabric in place. Remove hoop when color 5 finishes.
- Turn hoop over so you are looking at back of hoop. Place 5”x5” lining fabric on back of hoop RIGHT SIDE DOWN so it covers design. Tape at all four corners to secure.
- Turn hoop to front and place hoop on machine; run final color 6 which stitches all around the design, leaving an opening for turning. Remove hoop from machine and unhoop design. Carefully pull away all stabilizer from around design. Turn hoop over so lining fabric is on top and unsewn section is visible, which is the turn opening. Scissors in photo point to unsewn area.
- Using sharp scissors, trim all around design following stitch line, leaving about 1/4” allowance outside seam line. Take care when cutting through zipper. At unsewn area (turn opening), cut fabric “out” about 1/2” as shown with scissor points.
- Turn design inside out through the opening. To turn inside out, reach inside turn opening, grasp unquilted side (lining fabric), and gently pull. Design should easily pull through opening. Once turned inside out, use poking tool (such as a bamboo skewer) to nicely round corners. Scissors point to the turn opening.
- Turn design over so zipper is on top. Gently remove all stabilizer from design. Flip open fabric extensions at turn area and trim batting close to stitching to alleviate bulk at turn opening area. (Note: There should be four fabric extensions.) Flip front and back extensions out of way and trim away only the two extensions in between front and back. Trim close to stitching as shown, taking care not to cut into front or back fabric extensions.
- To finish turn area, use the following method for a no-sew finish. Turn design over so lining side is on top. Cut small piece of Heat N Bond Ultra slightly smaller than fabric extension; iron onto extension as shown in photo. Allow to cool, then peel off Heat N Bond paper strip. Slip two fabric extensions inside turn opening so they are even with outline of design. Press the turn area to adhere Heat N Bond. Press around all seams of case to ensure design lays flat and has a nice smooth look. (Note: Another method of finishing the turn area is to whipstitch area closed with needle and thread.)
- Turn design over so zipper side is visible. Reach inside open section of zipper, grab zipper pull, and unzip case all the way as shown.
- Flip design right side out through zipper opening as shown. Poke out corners again if necessary. Remove tape from hardware. Press entire bag (see tip).
- 1. Pressing is one of the most important steps in the outcome of your in the hoop projects. Don’t skip pressing! Be careful when pressing zipper area – the teeth will melt!