Thankful Wine Bottle Dangler
- STAEDTLER FIMO Soft Clay: Light Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Dolphin Grey; Effects, Mint, Red Glitter
- Jewelry wire, 18-gauge
- Natural rope cording, 10” length
- Thin jute twine, 6” length
- STAEDTLER: Sculpting Tools, Wood and Wicker Texture Sheet
- Heart cookie cutter, 2”
- Wire cutters and needle-nose pliers
- Black acrylic paint
- Acrylic roller or clay-dedicated rolling pin, parchment-lined baking sheet, oven
round paintbrush, ruler, water spray bottle, wax paper and newspaper (to cover work surface), damp paper towel, scissors, toothpick, bobby pin
- Working on wax paper, condition clays until soft and pliable. Roll Mint clay to 1/8” thickness. Lightly spray Wood texture sheet with water. Press texture sheet face down on Mint clay; roll acrylic roller over sheet. Cut heart shape from textured clay using cookie cutter; set aside.
- Roll Caramel clay to 1/8” thickness; mark clay using cookie cutter but do not cut out shape. Use knife tool to cut out heart 1/4” larger than cookie cutter shape.
- Cut two 1” lengths of wire; bend into “u” shapes. Place wire shapes at top and bottom of Caramel heart, so loop is sticking over edge of clay. Position Mint heart on center of Caramel heart, sandwiching wire ends between pieces. Press along edges to adhere together.
- Roll 1/8”-thick log of Caramel clay; cut into irregular-shaped pieces. Press these “sticks” onto outside edge of hearts, hiding seams.
- Roll two 3/4” balls of Caramel clay. Roll two 1/2” balls of Dark Chocolate clay. Press Dark Chocolate clay balls on Caramel balls, forming acorn shapes using photo as guide. Form points at bottom of acorns. Cut two 1” wire lengths; bend into “u” shapes and press into tops of acorns. Use toothpick to add detail lines on tops of acorns.
- Roll Red Glitter clay to 1/8” thickness. Cut 1”x1-1/2” rectangle from clay. Adjust size to fit across front of heart if needed. Roll Dolphin Grey clay to 1/8” thickness; cut rectangle slightly smaller than Red Glitter rectangle. Layer two plaques on top of each other; press onto front of heart. Use pointed sculpting tool or toothpick to add detail lines on edges of plaque and write “Thankful” on center.
- Bake all of clay pieces on parchment-lined baking sheet at 230º F in oven for 30 minutes. Let cool.
- On newspaper-covered work surface, paint clay pieces black. Use damp paper towel to remove paint from items, allowing paint to highlight detailed areas. Let dry.
- Attach jute twine through wire attachments on acorns and to bottom wire attachment on heart. Knot and trim ends.
- To attach to bottle, thread rope cording through top wire attachment on heart. Wrap cording around bottle; tie ends into bow.
- 1. The rounded tip of a bobby pin makes a great texture tool for adding details on acorn tops.