Machine Embroidery Gift Card Holder
- Cotton fabric scraps: red (package), green (bow), white (back of gift card holder)
- Mid-weight vinyl, 4”x4”
- Stablizers: heavy-weight cutaway, Sulky Fabri-Solvy Water Soluble
- Embroidery thread: red, green
- Red grosgrain ribbon, 1/4”-wide, 2” length
- Embroidery machine
- Five Star Fonts Embroidery FREE In The Hoop Gift Card Holder Embroidery Design (FREE download at fivestarfonts.com)
- Appliqué scissors
- Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
scissors, cellophane tape, iron and pressing surface, cotton swab
- 1. Be sure to wind embroidery thread on bobbin to match top thread (green and red) since you will be able to see the back of the design.
Gift Card Holder
- 1. Hoop wash-away stabilizer and place hoop on machine. Run color 1 which outlines the package portion of the design.
- 2. Lightly spray back of fabric with Sulky KK2000. Place fabric on top of design outline with RIGHT SIDE UP, ensuring it completely covers the stitched outline. Place hoop on machine and run color 2, which tacks package fabric to stabilizer. Remove hoop when color 2 finishes. Using appliqué scissors, carefully trim around outline of design, close to stitches.
- 3. Place hoop on machine and run color 3, which stitches the bow outline to show bow fabric placement. Lightly spray wrong side of bow fabric; place in hoop RIGHT SIDE UP. Run color 4, which tacks it down. Remove hoop and carefully trim all around bow outline, trimming close to stitches.
- 4. Place hoop back on machine and run color 5 which finishes the stitches around the bow fabric. Remove hoop from machine when color 5 finishes. Fold 2” ribbon length in half with wrong sides together and press to form crease. Turn hoop to the back and place ribbon loop centered over placement line. Raw edges of ribbon should extend about 1/4” inside placement line as shown. Tape ribbon in place.
- 5. Lightly spray back of heavy cutaway stabilizer with spray adhesive; place on back of hoop, ensuring it covers the design. Lightly spray wrong side of white fabric with spray adhesive and place it RIGHT SIDE UP on back of hoop, covering heavy cutaway stabilizer as shown.
- 6. TURN hoop to front and place hoop on machine. Run color 6, which tacks ribbon in place and also stitches stabilizer/fabric to stabilizer. Remove hoop when color 6 finishes. Turn hoop to back. Using appliqué scissors, trim both fabric and stabilizer close to stitches as shown. Take care not to cut into ribbon located at top of package.
- 7. Place hoop on machine and run color 7 (red thread), which stitches finishing stitches around the package. Run color 8 (green thread), which stitches finishing stitches around the bow. Remove hoop from machine when color 8 finishes. Turn hoop to the back and place edge of vinyl on back of design so the edge lines up with the top of the stitches on the package as shown in photo. Tape vinyl in place. (Note: Tape vinyl on the sides of the design, well outside the design area.)
- 8. Turn hoop to front and place hoop on machine. Run final color 9 (red thread), which stitches vinyl in place. Remove hoop from machine when color 9 finishes. Turn hoop over so back of hoop is visible. Carefully trim the vinyl close to the stitches as shown.
- 9. Unhoop design and trim wash-away stabilizer as close to stitches as possible without cutting into stitches. Use a cotton swab moistened in warm water and dab gently around edges to remove excess stabilizer close to stitches.
- 1. Attach your gift card holder to the tree or tie it on a present.