Halloween Felt Treat Bags
- XoticFelt (National Nonwovens), 1/4 yd.: Lava Rock; Grass Skirt; Pina Colada
- Wool Felt (National Nonwovens), scraps: Copper; Black; Sea Grass
- Orange plaid homespun fabric, 6”
- 6-strand Embroidery Floss (DMC):
Black (310); White; Dark Orange Spice (720); Citron (907); Dark Green Gray (3051)
- Flat-back buttons: black (cat’s eyes), two; white (skull), two
- Ribbon, 3/8”-wide: black/white dot
grosgrain, 10” length; assorted (tag ties)
- White cardstock
- Assorted patterned paper scraps (tags)
- Rubber stamps: alphabet; Halloween
sentiment of choice
- Black pigment ink pad
- Paper trimmer
- Lite Steam-A-Seam (The Warm Co.)
- Embroidery needle
- Zip Dry Paper Glue (Beacon
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Iron and pressing board
- Using a 1/2” seam allowance, cut two 6”x7-1/2” rectangles each from Lava
Rock, Grass Skirt and Pina Colada felt.
Press and pin as needed. Cut one set
of same color handles for each bag that
measures 1”x8”. Set handles aside.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions to
fuse remaining Lava Rock, Black, Pina
Colada, Copper, Sea Grass felt and
fabric to webbing with iron. Print and
cut out patterns. Transfer patterns to fused felt and fabric; cut out. For cat bag, cut cat from Lava Rock, eyes from Sea Grass, mouth from Copper, and teeth and nose from Pina Colada. For skull bag, cut skull back from Black, skull from Pina Colada, skull eye socket, nose socket and mouth socket from Black. For pumpkin bag, cut pumpkin from orange fabric, stem from Sea Grass and face features from Lava Rock.
- Place patterns on one felt rectangle and fuse in place with iron, referring to photo for placement. Thread needle with three strands of embroidery floss. Use blanket stitch for edges of all patterns. Use Citron floss for cat face, Orange floss for pumpkin’s
facial features, White floss for skull
back and facial features and Black floss
for all remaining patterns. Blanket stitch edges of all handles Black except Lava Rock, using Dark Green Gray floss.
- Place felt bag right sides together
and sew three sides closed with sewing
machine, leaving top side open for bag and turning. Turn bags right sides out. Use embroidery needle and black thread to blanket stitch top edges of bag. Attach handles to inside front and inside back of bag with needle and thread. Tie a grosgrain box and sew to front of skull bag as shown.
- Use paper trimmer to cut patterned papers to desired sizes for tags. Cut white cardstock slightly smaller than paper. Glue layers together. Use ink to stamp desired sentiments on white cardstock. Punch hole in top of tag and tie to bag handles with assorted ribbons.