Wool Felt House Ornaments
- Wool felt scraps: pink; sage green; olive green; off-white; gold; burgundy
- Flat buttons: medium brown, 1/2”, two; pearl black, 7/8”
- Iridescent seed beads
- Green rocaille bead
- 6-strand embroidery floss:
- Off-white perle cotton, #8
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Embroidery needle
- Pinking shears
- Straight pins
- 1. Use two strands of floss or one strand of perle cotton for embroidery. Tea dye wool felt colors if desired to give ornaments a vintage look.
Tall Skinny House
- 1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut two house shapes from pink felt (including roof). Cut one roof shape from off-white felt, cutting bottom with pinking shears. Cut one door from olive green felt. Pin roof and door to one house shape, following pattern.
- 2. Transfer lines to door. Use burgundy
floss to stem stitch around sides of
door 1/8” from edges and along door
lines. Blanket stitch along bottom edges of roof, placing loops between
grooves in pinked edge.
- 3. Sew button to house centered above door with perle cotton. Use perle cotton to
single feather stitch around edge of
- 4. Use burgundy floss to sew iridescent beads symmetrically between blanket stitches on roof.
- 5. Pin felt house shapes together with front side facing out. Blanket stitch around house shapes with loops going around outside edges (work over blanket stitches on bottom of roof), leaving 2” opening on one side (do not cut floss).
- 6. Stuff house with fiberfill. Continue blanket stitching around outside edge of house to beginning.
- 7. For hanger, insert 10” length of perle cotton through eye of needle. Insert needle through center top of roof and knot thread ends together.
Short Wide House
- 1. Follow same basic instructions as tall
skinny house, making the following
changes. Cut house shapes from sage green felt, shape around door from gold felt, and door from burgundy felt. Use rose floss to blanket stitch around house pieces. Sew brown buttons to house at sides of door. For doorknob, use pink floss to sew green bead to door.