Mummy Shelf Sitter
- Recycled individual plastic fruit or pudding cup
- Jumbo craft stick
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Ball, 1-1/2”; scrap, 1”x2”
- Creative Paperclay Delight Air-Dry Modeling Compound
- Black pony beads, two
- Wiggle eyes, two
- Red flat-backed rhinestone
- Thin gold cording
- Battery-operated tea light
- Acrylic roller, old or promo credit card (for cutter)
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Glow in the Dark, Olive Green, Lamp Black; Bright Silver No-Prep Metal Paint
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
toothpick, ruler, pencil, scissors, container of water, paper towels, plastic place mat and newspaper (for work surface), paintbrush
- Adhere toothpick to top of scrap foam (body) and push foam ball (head) on toothpick end. Cut jumbo craft stick in half; adhere each length onto sides of body for arms. Let dry.
- On clean surface, roll and flatten clay on plastic place mat. Apply dots of glue on head and body; press clay sheet on head and body. Roll small clay ball; press on face for nose. Adhere pony beads above nose for eyes. Let dry to harden clay.
- On covered work surface, paint recycled plastic cup Olive Green. Paint mummy’s face Olive Green. Let dry. Turn plastic cup upside down; adhere bottom of body to bottom of cup. Set aside to dry.
- Roll clay to 1/16” thickness. Use old credit card to cut out 1/2”-wide strips. Wrap and adhere strips around arms. Continue wrapping strips around body, beginning at bottom and continuing to top. Criss-cross two strips on chest. Wrap three small strips over nose and forehead. Set aside to dry.
- Paint mummy wrappings Glow in the Dark. Let dry. Drybrush Bright Silver paint randomly on wrappings for aged look. Set aside to dry.
- Measure and cut 6” length of gold cording; tie around neck. Spot glue center front of cording; press red rhinestone on center. Let dry.
- Roll 1” clay oval (crow) and form ends into points. Curve crow into “s” shape. Roll three oval shapes for tail and wings. Use old credit card to add feather lines on wings and cut end of tail into point. Adhere wings and tail on crow. Insert toothpick into bottom of crow; set aside to dry.
- Paint crow Lamp Black. Let dry. Drybrush Bright Silver. Let dry. Spot glue toothpick end and push crow into mummy’s arm. Adhere wiggle eyes on crow. Let dry.
- To display, position battery-operated tea light under plastic cup.
- 1. If working with kids, construct mummy’s body ahead of time and have kids roll and cut wrappings.